Ford Reconsiders; RWD To Make A Comeback!

When Ford taunted journalists with its powerful rear-drive Interceptor concept last year, officials quickly (and repeatedly) noted that there were no production plans for the car, nor even a rear-drive sedan. Now, executives in Dearborn are singing a different tune. Both CEO Alan Mulally and product-development chief Derrick Kuzack tell Automotive News that yes, Virginia; RWD cars are in Ford's future.

NoOp Comment: Good because without it Lincoln's final nail in the coffin would have been pounded in.

This confirmation may excite the enthusiast; recent exciting Ford concepts, like the Interceptor and Lincoln's MKR, have been designed for rear-drive applications. Drop a V8 into a sharp-handling sedan, and Ford could have a possible competitor for Pontiac's G8 or the Chrysler 300C SRT8.

NoOp Comment: Interceptor and MKR -- Bring both of those sweethearts on!

On the other hand, the rear-drive platform could serve as a replacement for the aging Crown Victoria. The platform could be developed conservatively to appeal to older buyers, or stripped down to appeal to police and livery fleets.

Whatever demographic Ford chooses to target with the RWD cars, we know they likely won't hail from Australia. Although engineering of the platform may be a global effort, the decision to build the Focus in Oz instead of export cars nixed that possibility. Joe Hinrichs, vice- president of global manufacturing, negated it further, mentioning exchange rates and shipping costs as deal breakers.

NoOp Comment: Priority #1) Lincoln. #2) A Ford [RWD] sedan to go after the 300 and G8.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Michael Johnson

Ford Marketing and Sales have already proven that they are idiots.

Michael Johnson wrote in news:s4- dnQnJhtuePhjanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Interceptor

Reply to
Joe

The only reason the New T Bird never took off is they made it for the same people that bought one new in 1955. They should have put a Mustang GT engine in it and offered it at in the low to mid 30K range. I drove one a couple of years ago and was thoroughly unimpressed with the car. The original T-Bird was a Vette competitor. Ford should have done its homework and sold the car to younger people. I like the styling I just hated the performance.

Reply to
Les Benn

When I said to bring the T-Bird back it has to have a rear seat to be successful. The T-Bird ford had up to 1997 was an excellent car with good credentials. It was rear wheel drive, independent rear suspension, V-8 (Mustang specs), handled very well for a 4,000 lb car and had good interior/exterior styling. Turning it into a two seater was just another poor decision by Ford that has helped put them in their current position. You can add others like killing off the Taurus, Escort, Contour and the SVT variant cars and trucks as some others, IMO.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Well the T-bird should be a 2 seater the Ford Fairlane 500 is the car you really want as a 4 seater. The Fairlaine 500 with the 390 and 4 speed was a terrific car and would kick a$$.

Reply to
Les Benn

I think the T-Bird can be marketed better than the Fairlane 500. More people know the T-Bird since it has been around much longer. Plus, the T-Bird has had much more time as a 4-5 seater than a two seater. I also don't think Ford can sell that many two seat vehicles. The Corvette really sucks about all the air from that room, IMO. Ford could stretch the Mustang chassis a little in length/width, copy the drive train from it, throw in an IRS and sell a manual/V-8 upscale variant of the Mustang as the T-Bird. Then maybe let Mercury sell it branded as the Cougar. I think that car would hit a home run for Ford for very little R&D costs.

Reply to
Michael Johnson