Good 5.0 heads bang for the $$$?

Hey Everyone, This winter i want to put some new heads on the 5.0 in my Ranger. Right now i'm running some boat anchors off an '85GT, three-angle valve job about 75k ago. This is my daily driver, so i'm not looking for anything exotic here. I'm running an Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, MSD, tri-y headers,

3-chamber Flows, T-5 and 3.73 gears. I also want to upgrade to roller rockers. I'm running a Crane Cam, LIFT: .483/.498 (w/ 1.6 rockers), DURATION: 276/282. DURATION @ .050: 214/220. CENTERLINE: 112 degrees. I used the split-prifile to get a more flow on the stock exhaust ports. I was looking at the World casting Roush 180 head, i see they come loaded with Manley valves, springs, (not a big deal, i still have the Crane springs i can transfer), guideplates and studs. On the aluminum side, i'm not sure where to head (no pun intended). I've heard from a few people that Edelbrocks are not as good as their reputation. FRPP GT-40? I'm trying to keep my budget under $1100 for the heads, plus rockers, etc. Advice?

Thanks, Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

do some research on ford's GT40-P(explorer) heads, I believe a lightly worked over set would give you the most "bang for your buck", they do have some header clearance issues with the revised spark plug angle tho. you may also want to check out the fully cnc ported factory heads by Power Heads. A mildly ported and shaved set of E7(87-95)mustang heads would be an improvement also.

here is a link to everything you want to know about the GT40-P heads including flow chart comparisons with some popular aluminun heads.

winze

That spark plug angle will cause problems with my headers. Nobody makes a set of headers to clear the plugs and framerails of the older Rangers. The tri-y's i have are one of only four different headers maufactured to fit a V8 in this truck. I like those heads, i wish i had clearance for them. I was also looking into a set of E7's. I want to talk to the guy who does my machine work this week. He does a lot of Fords, i'm sure he has stacks of E7's he'd let go for a decent price.

Thanks! Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

What about AFR 165's?

Scott Williams '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

Nice, but not quite the bang:buck ratio of TFS TW.

Chris

Reply to
Chris1