Help Needed - Mach 1 Gas Mileage

According to the specs, I should be getting 266.9 mi. / 408.2 mi per tankful of gas in my 2004 Mach 1. However, with just under 1,000 miles on it, I seem to be getting 200 mi. per tankful. For what it's worth, I've very little highway driving.

What's strange is, twice I've let it get pretty close to empty and yet it's only taken 12 gallons to fill it. So, I'm wondering if my fuel gauge may be a bit off. Regardless, should I expect my mileage to increase as the car "breaks in"?

Greg in NJ

Reply to
Greg in NJ

Seriously... you are getting 16.67 MPG early in the break-in period... sounds not too far off at this point.

I question the Ford method of fuel capacity and range specification. My 17 gallon Aerostar fueled up with 22 gallons more than twice, and I just put 21.57 gallons in my 16 gallon 97 Taurus wagon a couple of weeks ago - I drove 61 miles with the "Low Fuel" light on.

What is the rated capacity of the Mach 1 gas tank?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I have about the same milage on my 04 Mach 1 and I'm getting ~20 mpg.

Yes, I think as the motor breaks in you'll get better mileage. I've driven about equal mileage in town and on the highway.

15.7 gal fuel tank in the Mach 1.

Btw, it's a blast to drive too. :)

Reply to
Benny Hill

Perhaps a coincidence, but the differences are pretty close to what one would expect if the capacities were in "Imperial" gallons as opposed to "US" gallons. Were the Areostar and Taurus built in Canada?

Reply to
Richard

Neither one was built in Canada. Capacities came from the owner's manuals on each, which does list US Gal/qts, and Metric equivalents.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It is pretty common for "close to empty" as per the fuel gauge to not be close to empty. Buy a little gas can, put a gallon in it, then run your car until it runs totally out of gas. Note what the gas gauge looks like (it may be well below the E mark). Then, use that gallon of gas to get to a gas station and see how many gallons it takes to fill a really empty tank.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Greg in NJ opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As the others say, you shouldnt be going on how far you go per tank, but miles since fill divided by gallons to fill.

Bear in mind, the slope/flatness of the station pavement often makes a big difference in how full you can get the tank.. try to always refill at the same pump and direction... and/or average your milage over several tanks.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic
** run your car until it runs totally out of gas.

Not a great idea, Bob. Ask anyone who has had to replace a burned out fuel pump.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I'm getting around 13-18mpg depending on the driving. Full highway (calm driving!) would net around 21mpg. The tank holds around 55 litres which is

15 U.S. gallons.
Reply to
Richard

Yep, I keep a spreadsheet of all the gas (and other $$) I put into the Cobra. I'm averaging 15.53 mpg since the day I brought it home. I think I'd get another 2 mpg if it wasn't for this oxygenated BS gas that's forced on us. If you want better mileage with any V8, be easy on the throttle and shift early (below 2000 rpm). For everyday driving there is no need to use all (260, 305, 390) peak horsepower, use the engines low end torque but just don't lug the engine. For everyday driving I shift the Cobra from 1 to 2 at around 1800 rpm when the shift light comes on, then from 2 to 4 at 2200, and

4 to 6 at 2200. When I get on it and the boost gauge swings to 10 psi I swear I can see the fuel gauge move. I've really only had it on the highway once from MD to Philly and I got just above 18 mpg, the engine was still pretty new and tight when I made that trip. You can put the dash in the diagnostic mode by holding the trip button when you turn the key on, there you can see the digital representation used by the guage to show the of the amount of fuel in the tank. Here's a link to the dash test mode, the link at the bottom of the page will take you to more info about the fuel level;
WraithCobra