Mach 1/Cobra - Handling in Bad Weather

I'd love to hear from anyone who owns either the Mach 1 or the Cobra, as to how these cars perform in both rain and snow. Thanks.

Greg in NJ

Reply to
Greg in NJ

I've got an 03 Mach 1 and it handles great on wet roads... If it ever snows here in Georgia enough to get on the roads...I'll be e-mailing from further south.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Rain is fine, however, unless you have expeirence driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow (ANY REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR), your better off with something else.

Bill S.

Greg > I'd love to hear from anyone who owns either the Mach 1 or the Cobra,

Reply to
Bill S.

Why do you say that? I've only ever driven my '67 and '68 Galaxies in the snow and they do very well. Much better than I'm expecting this blasted Prelude I'm driving to do this winter. If the raods aren't plowed I'm not gonna be going anywhere. LOL Eitehr of my Gals had no trouble with unplowed roads. Lots of ground clearance, which helped a lot. Just gotta be easy on the gas, particularly when starting on a hill.

I'm very afraid of snow now that I'm in this Prelude... Methinks I better keep a shovel in the car.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Cory,

Then you have learned to drive. My guess is that the person posting the initial question is either in the 15-17 range, or younger. Looking for his first set of wheels. Most of us who grew up with rear wheel drive know how to adjust for changing conditions. Those who have yet to climb behind the wheel of anything but the family grocery getter, are in for a big surprise..............Especially in a rear wheel drive Mustang GT....................Catch my drift now...............

Bill S.

Cory Dunkle wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

"Bill S." wrote: ...................Catch my drift now............... Bill S.

...and some people might think you had a limited sense of humor... :-)

btw... Didn't I see your posting on the Mach1 Registry site, also?

Reply to
Mustang_66

Nope, I don't belong to the Mach I registry, unless of course it has to do with the 69-73 Mach I's.................

Bill S.

Mustang_66 wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Mach-1 is OK in the rain here in Jersey - traction control helps. Biggest problem I've had is with the wet leaves yesterday.

Don't know about the snow (*YET*), but I'll let you know. My Mach is a daily driver. I've got a fresh set of winter snow-meat (i.e. snow tires/wheels) waiting to be shoe'd up in the garage.

I figure it'll be miserable. THEN I can buy a beater in the spring (prob'ly a wrangler...somethin' else to mess around with.)... THEN I can do THIS:

.... to my Mach next year

Gary '00 fxdl '03 Mach-1

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

I used to drive rear drive in the winter, but they didn't work as good as front wheel drive. Having the motor over the drive wheels helps a lot.

I could have purchased a 2003 Cobra 10 days ago, but instead I got a 2004 F-150 4x4. The dealer was giving some real good deals on both vehicles.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Nope. I'm 34. I've had a few rear wheel drive cars. However, I've heard a few horror stories about just how bad the Mustangs are in snow, and was looking for confirmation.

Greg in NJ

Reply to
Greg in NJ

At 34 then you should have enough experience to drive any rear wheel drive car in the snow. I've been driving my Mustangs as all year round daily drivers here in the north east for the last 23+ years without a problem.................

Bill S.

Greg > >

Reply to
Bill S.

Amen!

I drove a '73 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 454 4bbl through 4 winters in Watertown, NY (80 miles north of Syracuse) on regular Goodrich TA/60's. I

*never* put it in the snow bank.

You can drive the stang in the snow ;-)

Reply to
Gary Rodgers

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Greg in NJ) wrote in :

Greg -- IMHO, we don't get enough snow here in NJ to sway me one way or the other on RWD (I recently bought a 2003 Lightning -- definitely NOT a snow- friendly vehicle!). The rare snowstorms we do get are usually bad enough that you're not going to go driving anyway, RWD or FWD. Having said that, though, I must admit that my wife drives a 4WD Sport Trac, just in case . . .

-- Jim (in southern NJ)

Reply to
Jim J

I have driven a number of SN-95 V8 Mustangs in snow with stock Goodyear Eagle Gatorbacks (an '03 Mach 1 is my current car). I generally add 140 lbs of sand in the trunk (70 lb tubes, 1 over each rear wheel area), go slow on the gas, and easy on the brake, making sure to leave room between other cars and mine. I have had minimal problems, steeper inclines being the challenging exception. The snow depth I usually drive in ranges from

1" to 6". Any deeper than that and I stay off the roads. Proper snow tires will make a big difference. The traction control on Mach 1 provides some assistance.

For your reference, I live in Cincinnati, OH, which typically does not get as much snow over the winter as some spots on the East Coast.

Good luck!

Greg > I'd love to hear from anyone who owns either the Mach 1 or the Cobra,

Reply to
Tony Alonso