Hi Im thinking oputting water methanol injection

Have 8# boost Keene-Bell with some det during transition to full boost, as it is a daily driver, and the air gets hot at part throttle. (no bypass on thei early one)

The stuff is cheap. $200 or so.

Any problems? With a tune or with out ?

Reply to
dogma

I used W/A injection with a KB blower for several years and can tell you it works very well. It allowed me to run 16 psi with no detonation. I suggest you forget about the alcohol and just use water in very small amounts. The benefit to this is you will not introduce unmetered fuel into the engine and the A/F ratio can be more easily controlled via the computer. Also, alcohol has a lower specific energy than gasoline so it gives lower hp returns for the fuel volume used verses gasoline. I would recommend using a kit that increases spray as the rpms increase. Since KBs make full boost pressure at low rpms, it can cause bogging in the lower rpm range when the spray is properly dialed in for higher rpms. I used an SMC Enterprises kit that is used in the Turbo Buick circles. The guy that owns it is very helpful and, IMO, his kit is one of the best available. Here's a link:

Just make sure and tell him you plan to use water because he will spec a different pump. There are other kits that work well too. I had the best success injecting right at the discharge point of the blower. I tapped the outlet manifold to do this and some might get nervous doing it. Many inject before the blower too. Overall, this method of cooling is very effective. It can actually cool the air temps to BELOW ambient. This is something an intercooler can not achieve. Also, don't go overboard with the water. It doesn't take much to be effective and using too much just robs horsepower.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Not using Methanol seems OK as it would goof up the computer some, and I don't need much cooling.

I was thinking of using one from these guys,

No pump for the higher pressure to atomize the water/meth really fine. It relies on the boost to vacuum pressure difference and a small orifice to control the amount of water/meth. (yep, cheap) They have a smaller orifice for less water. And the have a one way valve, to work the system has to be in Boost.

If I inject it just before throttle plate, the KB should help atomize it. (KB says OK to use water/methanol on intake side)

On that site in the Mag article it says it is not compatible with roots/screw combos. Not sure why that is(?).

Not looking for more HP gain, daily driver, and not enough room on the roads right now to keep throttle down for long anyway. So I plan on not re-tuning it. Just a little cooling to take out some Det mostly occurs going from part throttle to open, air in SC heats up at part throttle.

This KB has no bypass on it. Guess I could get them to recheck the Tune, it has been 2 years.

Reply to
dogma