Maybe OT, a drag racing question

I'm hooked on speed, TV that is, and frequently watch Pinks and other drag racing competition. The cars always do spectacular burn outs, and it appears the front brakes are locked because the cars don't move. Do these cars have separate front and rear braking systems?

Just curious, Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

They are using line locks. Also referred to as roll control systems. It is a solenoid (or solenoids depending on how you set them up) that you activate with a switch. Roll up to the line, press your brakes, push the switch, let off the brakes. The solenoid holds line pressure to the front brakes while the rear brakes are free.

Reply to
Hawgman

So, in other words, when I do it, I'm burning up the rear drums... Yeah, that explains a lot.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

If the rear brakes are not engagued, how are you burning up the rear drums? I stated very clearly that line locks hold pressure to the front brakes while the rear brakes are free. What part of that says you are burning up the rear drums? (and who has drum brakes anymore anyway?)

Reply to
Hawgman

Who said I use line locks?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Whoosh! Good thing you ducked. :)

Reply to
John C.

Well duh! If I had read it correctly I woulda got that. Sorry.. normally don't have my head that far up my own ass. Been an off week.

Reply to
Hawgman

No worries. That's what I get for being flip.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I still have rear drums on my 72 Mach1 as an example!

Reply to
Mach1

Hi all, I have a 84 Capri 5.0 and I can't do any spectacular burn outs, but I can do enough to get me in trouble with the police. At my age the problem is, I wouldn't know if I should call the officer "Sir" or "Junior". :-) Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

It went right down the part in your hair, didn't it?

Anyone driving a Mustang the same year model as Dwight, myself included.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Wilson? Whatchit sucka!

Reply to
WindsorFo

Does PowerSlot make rear drums?

Seriously... I've only stood on the brakes and spun the tires one time, back when I was younger and stupider. That was just before having the rear drums serviced, and I'm sure that I was unaware of the damage I was doing. Nothing smartens you up about cars like paying repair bills.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Don't know, but most likely the worst you did was shave some life off the shoes.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Big SNIP

I had a '64 Olds when I was 17 that I power braked all the time for that big smoky one tire stripe. Worked in a gas station and got free used tires to replace the burnt up one. Only problem I had with doing those burn outs was the axle bearing in that car was a sealed bearing not lubed by the rear end oil. Other cars in my youth with full lubed axle bearings never had any power braking issues. Zero brake problems. Light 'em up, tires are your biggest expense. I don't smoke the GT stick as hard as I like to, those 18" aren't cheap.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Repairman

Being old has some advantages. Was at the movies, parked in an above ground parking structure. When the movie let out I noticed mall security was at the exit of the parking structure. As I was leaving a smart ass teenager in a Nova pushed in front of me. It was an "imagine" hot rod, some primer, loud pipes and so on. So I lit up my 89 5.0 LX at every level. Smoke and noise everywhere. When we got to the exit who do you think they stopped? Not the old guy:)

Al >63 and still nuts!

Reply to
Big Al

Hey Al, You're still a young pup!

Dick - 67 and I still can shift a 5 speed with the best of them. "Look at that old fart driving that cool car" :-)

Reply to
Dick R.

Frank - 71 and wishing I could still shift a 5 speed with the best of them (98% isn't good enough).

Looking at the slack-jawed youth looking at that old fart driving that cool car:

With less than a 1300 miles on it, going 140 by GPS in West Texas was Fun.

:-)

Reply to
Frank ess