NEED HELP! 2001 Ford Mustang 3.8 litre V6 Bad Ground?? (replc'd Battery, and Alternator, runs only on jumper cables)

My wifes 01' Mustang V6 had some electrical issues; during heavy rains, at night with lights, wipers and heat on, the car would stall or drop voltage to near stall. Radio would die.

I replaced the alternator with the proper one. Problem seemed to have subsided for a few days, then returned. Next I purchased a new battery and installed that after cleaning the battery contacts with a wire brush.

Now, the car does not turn over, does not make clicking noise and all lights are off.

To eliminate the idea this may be a battery issue, we jumped the car off of another car and it started right up and ran perfectly...UNTIL we disconnected the jumper cables, then it dies again.

I have been scouring the web trying to find a solution or something worth trying before I make a repair shop out of our complex's parking lot. I need to do this as fast as possible without any unnecessary tinkering, IF possible.

I believe it may be a grounding issue; I am curious if anyone else has any similar experience or knowledge and can point me in the right direction.

ANY TIPS OR HELP ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thank you in advance.

PJ

Reply to
Pliny Herell

You get an answer here but you really need to goto one of the Mustang web forums to get lots of feed back.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Look for a failed ground between the engine block and the battery. To test take one jumper cable and connect from the block to the negative terminal.

After you fix that do a very low voltage check betwwen the metal on the radiator and the battery negative terminal any voltag (likly in the mill ivote range is a predictor of an eventul raditor failure. You'll need a light jumper between the radiator the the negative terminal of the battery.

Reply to
NotMe