Need some measurements

I need to get some measurements for a custom job I am planning. I need to know the height of the recessed taillight panels on the 65-66 Mustang, the

67-68 Mustang, the 69 Mustang and the 70 Mustang. I also need the width and height of the grills for the same years. Finally, I need the width of the 65-66 rear bumper, measured at the top corners. If anybody could please post those, it would be much appreciated.
Reply to
rcp

I've got an original 66 in my garage, I'll get you some measurements. But I am curious, why all the measurements from different years? Kelly

Reply to
KellyJ

I was afraid somebody would ask that. Now I'll probably get flamed for mutilating a Mustang....

I am building a custom 86 convert from a basket case, and I will be incorporating styling cues from the classic Mustangs, somewhat similar to the design of the 2005 Mustang, which I'm sure you have all seen by now. For example, the taillights and rear bumper will be replaced by a custom fiberglass rear panel, that will have 90-95 Olds Cutlass Cierra taillights turned 90 degrees. The three rectangular lights will mimic the 3-light styles from 1964-1/2 through 1970, but the look will be more up-to-date due to the smooth style of the Cierra taillights. I can't post pictures to the newsgroup, so click on this ebay link to see the taillight I just bought. Now imagine it with the back-up light lens cut off, and the taillight turned so the red lenses are vertical and blended into a smooth panel. The license plate will be moved to the bottom of the new panel, and the embossed MUSTANG from the GT's ground effects will be centered between the taillights.

know some (most?) of you are rolling your eyes by now, so click onwww.cardomain.com/id/camvette86 to see how I customized my son's 86 Camaroin the same fashion. If you don't like the way that came out, flame away...

Reply to
rcp

Now that I have decided on using the Cierra taillights, I won't be needing the taillight panel dimensions, but I still need the grill dimensions. In addition to the width of the 65-55 rear bumper, I should get the same for the 67-68 and 69-70 rear bumper, as well a the width of the 67-68 and 69-70 front bumpers. Thanks in advance to anyone who will take the time to do this.

Reply to
rcp

That Camaro nose is one of the nicest front end of a 3rd gen I've seen in a very long time! You seriously have some talent with fiberglass and molding - even the floorpans looked good. Might as well have added some extra chassis stiffening there while you were in it though. I'd have to see it up close to see how well it turned out, but from the pictures provided, it turned out very well. I'm sure your son is quite into that car.

I'm curious to see how the '86 Mustang will turn out.

Where are you located?

JS

Reply to
JS
1966 Mustang coupe grill - 40 1/4" W 7 1/4" H rear bumper from top corners, 64" Hope this helps Kelly
Reply to
KellyJ

I'll second that. When I called up the pics I expected to see some hideous monstrosity. Instead I looked at the finished pictures wondering what exactly was done to it, as I don't know F-bodies all that well. I noticed the nose was different, but it looked like it came that way so my eyes started to look elsewhere. And to me, the best styling mods are the ones that look like the car came that way. I've even seen some massive changes to cars that looked that good.

Reply to
Brent P

You know just when you think you have an original idea it seems some one else is thinking the same thing!!! Mine is more restomod than custom. I have a '67 I'll get some numbers off for you when I clear the 2 feet of snow from it! Sounds like a great project. The weird thing is I've looked at those Cutlass taillights and thought the very same thing. Good Luck! StuK

I know some (most?) of you are rolling your eyes by now, so click on>
to see how I customized my son's 86 Camaro> in the same fashion. If you don't like the way that came out, flame away...>

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanks for the measurements. This will help a lot. I'm assuming I'll have to narrow whatever grill and bumper I end up with, but I won't know until I see all of the numbers.

I've put your email address in my Mustang Project folder. I'll send you some pics when I get going on it.

1966 Mustang coupe grill - 40 1/4" W 7 1/4" H rear bumper from top corners, 64" Hope this helps Kelly
Reply to
rcp

Hey, throw me in that list of email addresses - snipped-for-privacy@nospam.bellatlantic.net (removing the obvious - damn spambots)

Just thinking on the way home... if you use the other taillights, you should talk to musttanguy on here to get the sequencers that make the turn signals go from inside to out. It might actually relieve some of the issues of going to a single unit instead of a separate turning bulb, but I'm not sure how the wiring would work out.

Just an idea..

JS

Reply to
JS

You're on the list for pics, JS.

I like the sequential turn-signal idea. In fact, I considered using 67-68 Cougar taillights just for that reason. Well, for that reason and because I think they're the best-looking taillights that have ever been put on a car. I decided against it because even though they would look cool and be much easier to install, anybody who looked at them would know they were Cougar taillights. I like to do something really unique whenever possible.

I haven't received the Cutlass taillights yet, but I'm assuming they have one bulb. I plan to see how difficult it would be to divide the reflector into thirds and cram three dual filament bulbs in there, one for each lens. Then I could run my taillight wires to the dim filament on all three lenses, my brake wires to the bright filament on the inside two lenses, and my turn signal wire to the bright filament on the outside lens. If it's not feasible to modify it this way, I'll leave the single bulb and use a trailer adaptor (the type that allows you to splice single bulb trailer lights into a two or three bulb system) to make the conversion..

I don't know how complicated the wiring would be for sequential turn signals, if I was able to fit three bulbs in the housing, especially since the 86 Mustang is wired for a separate turn signal bulb, and the early Mustangs and Cougars aren't. I'm a paint and body guy, and I tend to get into trouble if I get too deep into mechanical or electrical problems.

Reply to
rcp

Thanks. :-)

As for sequential turn lights, if you can do what you're talking about, I'm sure someone here can help you with the wiring. Tim's (Musttanguy) kit might come in handy for that. If you can get the housing open and want something different than is available, I can make you something that will turn heads just like the car will. E-mail me if you wish and I can discuss this with you further. Key point is if you can get the housing open though.

JS

Reply to
JS