Next Generation Camaros with 500HP

According to Ward's Auto, an experimental 6.2-liter, direct-injection V8 producing upward of 500 hp could be factored into the next Chevrolet Camaro equation. The engine would coincide with the Gen V version of the small-block V8, based on GM's existing all-aluminum Gen IV (L92), which powers the Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon Denali and Hummer H2. According to Wards, the prototype powerplant resides in the engine bay of an Escalade being tested at GM's proving grounds. One GM engineer says it's developing "well north" of 450 horsepower, a 10 percent increase in low-end torque and three percent to six percent better fuel economy. That from the new injection system, which features eight high-pressure injectors that squirt fuel directly into the side of the combustion chamber at 2,250 pounds per square inch.

Makes you wonder how much horsepower direct injection would give the 7- liter that powers the current Z06 Corvette. And this makes me eager to see how much Ford's upcoming 6+-liter Hurricane/Boss V8 puts out.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I'm hearing the 7 Liter Z06 engine is not holding up.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I was reading that they are having problems with the newer cafe standards coming out and might not be able to power the Camaro as potently as anticipated.

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

From what I've read about the price range of the new Camaro, it wont be a sales success. The less expensive base models wont be nearly as appealing and as good as the base model Mustang. The top of the line Camaro with the prime powerplant will be priced out of the ponycar market. Not as versatile and thrifty as the six cylinder Mustang.... And... As for the hopped up Camaro... Too much money to ask for ponypower. Spend a few bucks more and you can have a Corvette. In short... I will be a flop for the same reason it was discontinued to begin with. Neither here nor there. Who wants a six banger Camaro ??? As for the prime model... They don't have the brains to make a rear wheel drive 8 cylinder performance car and price it for 25k. The automotive magazines will probably love it, but they only need to buy one test car.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

You know, I was thinking about this exact same thing yesterday. I was reading some old rags about the 1993 Cobra v. the 1993 Camaro. The verdict was unanimous... Camaro rocks, Cobra was old, dated, blah blah blah. Of course, a few years after this, the Camaro was finally put out of it's misery and the Mustang is apparently doing so well, GM wants to take another kick at the cat.

This leads me to one of two conclusions about automotive writers: the car rag writers are idiots and don't know what truly does make a good car, or two, no one cares about their opinions. Either way, they should pack it in.

It's all about sales. Niche vehicles that show off a company are worthless. Ask the japs about that. The Camaro is doomed to flop again if GM does it the same way. And they will. And it will.

Talk to me in 5 years.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

"BradandBrooks" wrote in news:aApFi.149133$fJ5.121685@pd7urf1no:

As soon as you said 'cat', I thought 'Cougar'.

All of the above.

Sales = V6

Reply to
Joe

Pony cars cannot live on V-8s alone. The base models are what make the high performance models possible. Ford has remembered this well throughout the history of the Mustang. GM has not and this is why the Camaro got axed.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Last time I looked, it seemed that the Camaro and Firebird together didn't equal the sales of the Mustang.

Probably because the Camaro has always been butt ugly and the Mustang has always been the perfect design.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

dwight

dwight

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do remember riding in some Camaros and fighting the infamous hump in the floor board. I felt like I was going for a ride on a luge.

Reply to
Michael Johnson