? Does Anyone Know ?

Does anyone in this Group know if anyone who has anything thing to do with Lexus or is employed by Lexus reads this Groups postings?

Reply to
gallen

I think that Toyota and Lexus employees occasionally monitor group postings. Do you have a specific question?

Reply to
Ray O

No specific question at this time.

I thought this Group might be one where Lexus owners could " vent " about the things like liked and/or disliked about their Lexus autos.

I experienced a lot of interest in how much I liked the car the first week I had it but not much there after. The silly thing is that after one week one really does not know how well they are really going to like the car " down-the-road " as the saying goes.

At this point I could write a volume both good and bad and have done so via U.S. mail to Lexus but never got a reply via E-mail or U.S. mail. Guess they really don't give a tinkers damn about what they could do to improve the machine, i.e., I have the impression feedback does not interest them.

Regards,

Toyota/Lexus used to try to answer every letter; I spent quite a few late evenings composing replies. I don't know if that policy has changed or not.

They do monitor and compile customer requests and suggestions on design but obviously cannot incorporate every person's suggestions as some people's likes are others' dislikes.

Reply to
Ray O

My sense is that Lexus began seriously ignoring customers about a decade ago. A perfect example is the hesitating transmission issue that began with the 2002 ES. The problem persisted for about 4 model years and they've never really addressed it to their customers' satisfaction. Just do a google search, or better yet, do a search on the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website to see all the complaints.

Either hubris from years of being ranked number one in customer satisfaction or blind ambition to overcome GM as the world's largest automaker, or perhaps both, are probably to blame.

I'm very satisfied with my 2004 ES, even with the hesitating transmission. There's no other car I'd rather own. However, I'm not excited about the new ES. Sluggish handling and poor rear visibility make me want for something else. Next time I'm in the market for a new car, I may end up with another ES, but not before I look around to see what else is available from Acura and others.

As to whether Lexus employees monitor this newsgroup, probably not. And if they are, they're not saying. I wouldn't blame them, though, for not speaking up. If I were them, and was reading this group, I wouldn't say so, either. But judging from their behavior over the last decade, they aren't even reading their mail, let alone monitoring groups like this.

Reply to
David Z

I'm having somewhat the same feelings. My 99 RX-300 was the best car I have ever owned...except that it seemed impossible to get the transmission fixed when it blew up almost exactly at 100,000 miles.

Ended up with a RX-350, which has inspired a love/hate relationship. There are so many good things on the car, but whenever Lexus made a mistake on it, it was always a HUGE mistake.

Wife's ES-350 has been great (only a couple of months old) and doesn't have as many annoyances as the RX.

Reviewing the buying decisions, I'd still buy the same cars.

Reply to
Wayne

I know what you mean. I loved my 93 ES.

But as I look around, I see that many, many makers have stepped up to the plate. For example, Hyundai. Check out the Genesis or even the Equus, if you want to spend a few bucks more.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I've been reading about the Genesis. Gets very good reviews. Although more than one reviewer has commented that the handling is somewhat unsettling and lacks confidence. Not what you want for a car in this class.

Reply to
David Z

You know, I'd like to drive a Genesis and then an Equus, then go drive a current ES, all right back to back. That would speak volumes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

When I'm ready to buy, I may just do that. Since I own a 2004 ES and have had a new (2009?) ES as a service loaner for a few days at a time, I would only need to drive the Genesis. I'd probably also drive an Acura TL and some others as well.

I usually keep a car about 7 to 9 years, but my 6.5 year old ES has only 38K miles. So it's really in its prime. Also, I don't see anything out there that would even draw me into a showroom.

Reply to
David Z

Well, the Genesis was designed to compete with the ES.

If you want to see how Hyundai competes with the LS, go drive an Equus.

I'm not one to harp on price, because it's all about the VALUE and not how cheap it is. But even Car and Driver was impressed with the Equus when put up against the LS. Equipped identically as possible, including the recliner rear seat executive option, the Equus came in priced at only two-thirds that of the LS.

Deserves a very hard look, IMHO.

Um, I don't think so. I think what they'll do is work hard on the marketing angle to let Kia be their Toyota, and move Hyundai on up to be the Lexus.

Well, maybe Kia will be their Dodge, and Hyundai will be their Chrysler. Maybe that's a better way to think of it.

Consider: Hyundai dabbled in, then got out of, the minivan market. They let Kia keep that.

Look at the Kia lineup, then consider the Hyundai lineup. You'll see some overlap in the middle, but even the Sonata is overall at a higher trim/feature level than the equivalent Optima.

At this point, it's all up to the marketing team. Hyundai will struggle with their roots, though. It was relatively easy for Toyota to just invent the Lexus division out of thin air, and ignore that it's just another division of Toyota. It's relatively more difficult for Hyundai to ask people who drove the 1986 Excel to come back and buy an Equus.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Very interesting comments about the Hyundai Genesis. I drive a 2010 LS640 AWD there are things I love and things that I truly hate.

My son was going to get an ES350 but when compared to the Genesis there was no comparison, the Genesis was hands down the better car and a way better buy. I really enjoy driving his Genesis.

Here are Car and Driver's comments about the Genesis' ride:

"A more fundamental problem is the car's ride quality. The Genesis handles decently-if you haven't been exposed to German luxury cars. But the trade-off for decent body control and steering-it bests what's offered by Lincoln and Buick-is impact harshness that borders on the unacceptable, especially on Michigan's frost-heaved roads."

Consumer Reports' comments about the Genesis' ride:

"Handling is responsive and secure, but the car's weak link is its somewhat nervous ride."

Reply to
David Z

Edmunds thinks that the major competitor for the ES is the Buick LaCrosse. Check out this interesting article.

2010 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2009 Lexus ES 350 Comparison Test and Video

Ironing Out the Wrinkles in the Entry-Level Luxury Sedan

By Chris Walton, Chief Road Test Editor | Published Aug 28, 2009

Ironing Out the Wrinkles in the Entry-Level Luxury Sedan

If you do your part to forget about your (grand)father's Buick, we'll do ours to refrain from picking the low-hanging fruit when it comes to smart remarks in this comparison test of the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS and the 2009 Lexus ES 350. There will be no references to forgotten left-turn signals or Murder She Wrote. Instead we'll ensure our focus remains on how well each car fulfills its promise of entry-level luxury.

Rather than our usual 20 percent emphasis on intended acceleration and other track performances, we'll count those only as 10 percent of the total score for this comparison. Instead, we'll reward these cars more heavily for their ability to coddle, pamper and supply the kind of features a modern luxury car should - increasing this component of the final tally to 25 percent from our normal 20 percent. And in light of this era of doomsday economics, we've made the price 25 percent of the final score, up from 20 percent.

The Luxury Landscape What started in 1989 as a gussied-up Toyota Camry has matured over 20 years into one of the best-selling luxury sedans in the U.S. It might surprise you that the low-profile front-wheel-drive Lexus ES historically has been the sales leader for the high-profile Lexus brand, outselling its more expensive rear-wheel-drive Lexus siblings like the GS and IS, not to mention the range-topping LS. The expectation of super reliability, solicitous service writers, loaner cars and projected resale value had much to do with the success of the entry-level Lexus, which is perceived as a great value for the luxury received.

We also believe one of the reasons for the ES's popularity is the relatively thin field of competitors in the segment of entry-level luxury sedans. The Acura TL has gone all beak-nosed and high-tech, alienating those in search of simple luxury. The Cadillac CTS is conflicted and needs a singular concept ("Standard of the World" might be a good one to dust off). Infiniti is still trying to establish itself, though neither the G nor the M sedans seem to fit the luxury segment. Lincoln has failed so many times with rebadged Fords that nobody pays much attention anymore, and any differentiation among the cryptically described MKS, MKT, MKX and MKZ devolves into a case of brand glaucoma. As far as the German sedans go, choices for buyers not interested in Nürburgring lap times have been limited.

Meanwhile, Lexus has been quietly reaping the rewards by satisfying buyers looking for a comfortable, reasonably priced luxury sedan, and so the 2009 Lexus ES 350 is the latest in a long line of sedans that have trudged along essentially unchallenged in this market segment. But now GM - and more specifically, Buick - wants some of that action, and the 2010 Buick LaCrosse is its answer.

Is Buick the New Lexus? So it was only a little surprising that when the all-new 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS (base price of $33,765) arrived at Edmunds HQ, it appeared more than prepared to take on the 2009 Lexus ES 350 at $35,345.

Anyone who doubts the LaCrosse's mission is to compete with the ES 350 need only scan the lengthy standard equipment list and drive one a couple hundred yards. As Dan Pund said in our Full Test of the LaCrosse CXS, "Really, people, you're going to have to get past your whole Buick thing. Wake up; times are changing."

And judging from your interest in our quick test of the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL with its 3.0-liter V6 and our full test of the LaCrosse CXS with its

3.6-liter V6, this all-new Buick has your attention, as well it should.

Lazy Boy When we drove the LaCrosse and ES 350 side-by-side during our comparison testing, it was immediately evident that the standard, heated/ventilated, leather-upholstered front seats in the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS were far more comfortable and supportive than the ES 350's optional seats. (Leather upholstery isn't even standard on the 2009 Lexus ES 350.) Extra point for Buick that these easy chairs also boast handsome and well-executed double stitching, a detail that's evident throughout the cabin.

According to the SAE's calibrated tape measure, the front accommodations of the two sedans are within fractions of an inch of one another, but the rear seats of the Buick not only measure larger but also are noticeably larger to the eye as well. Yes, we have noted that the Buick surrenders about 2 cubic feet of trunk volume (and a smaller aperture as well as limited rearward visibility) to enjoy this asset, but its cargo capacity of 12.8 cubic feet is still large by most standards.

The rear seats in the Lexus are fixed and the armrest contains a ski-size pass-through. The rear seats in the LaCrosse also hide a ski-size pass-through, but additionally accommodate a 60/40-split folding feature that expands the cargo capability. And though our Buick isn't so equipped, there is an available rear-seat DVD entertainment system - an option not currently available in the Lexus.

The rear passengers of the Lexus also will be underwhelmed with a couple of HVAC vents, while the Buick supplies vents, a simple power point and a genuine two-prong AC power outlet. Both these cars are equipped with powered rear sunshades and rear side-mounted airbags.

Fine Motor Skills In terms of driving dynamics, the Lexus has one subtle but distinct advantage over the Buick, because you never notice the drivetrain at all. We've praised Toyota's powerful and efficient 3.5-liter 2GR V6 in everything from a Toyota RAV4 and Sienna minivan to the Lexus IS 350 and RX 350. In the ES 350, the ultra-smooth and remarkably quiet V6 develops 272 horsepower, yet requires high-octane fuel to do so. The EPA's combined fuel economy rating for the 2009 Lexus ES 350 is 22 mpg, and we confirmed it with an observed average of 21 mpg.

The direct-injection 3.6-liter V6 in the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS makes more power than the Lexus V6 with 280 hp and it does so with regular-grade fuel. At the same time, it also has to stir more than 2 tons of luxury sedan, which translates into an average of 18.5 mpg in our testing, while the official EPA rating is 21 mpg. The Buick never ever feels overburdened, but it just doesn't accomplish overtaking maneuvers as effortlessly as the Lexus. The transmission programming in the Buick is also busier than that of the Lexus, prioritizing fuel savings instead of seamless, unobtrusive power.

It's not a huge surprise the lighter ES 350 (by a whopping 472 pounds) outpaced the slightly more powerful Buick at the test track by about a half-second across all the sampled speeds. Then again, if a half-second matters to you, then you might be shopping in the wrong showroom. (Sport sedans are on the other side, sir, next to the branded athletic apparel.)

Fancy Suspenders From behind the Buick CXS's standard heated steering wheel, we found its ride far more controlled and yet soothing than that of the squishy Lexus. The LaCrosse CXS has standard two-mode self-adjusting shock absorbers that do an excellent job of damping out impacts with a single(!) rebound stroke. In comparison, the Lexus feels soggy with its soft springs, and the traditional dampers allow the body to oscillate through at least two suspension cycles after an impact. There was a time (1997-2001) when the Lexus ES 300 offered Adaptive Variable Suspension, including a sport/comfort selector, but cost-cutting seems to have taken a toll.

It might not matter to you that the Buick's $800 Touring package includes

19-inch wheels (the Lexus wears standard 17s) and ties together transmission, steering and damping rates for what is supposed to be a sportier driving experience. Somebody once said, "A difference, to be a difference, must make a difference," and, frankly, we could scarcely detect any variation in the way the LaCrosse CXS drove in Sport or normal modes. Actually, we feel the 19-inch wheels and Touring suspension settings transmit a slightly more brittle ride quality compared to the standard 18-inch wheels and standard suspension.

In fact, the LaCrosse CXL we tested with 18-inch wheels and without the Touring package matched this LaCrosse CXS's handling numbers, registered lower sound levels at 70 mph and enveloped road irregularities with the same imperviousness as Mr. Fancy Dampers.

The Clock Never Stops An area where the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS scores big points is in our scoring for 10 selected features, including must-have items like navigation with real-time traffic information, remote starting, perforated leather seating with heat and ventilation, and so on. Of course there are items both cars have in common, like intelligent keys, premium audio systems, articulating xenon headlamps, dual-zone climate controls and oversize moonroofs.

Have a look at the Top 10 Features list, but in summary, of the 10 we chose, there were six important attributes we found to be standard on the Buick and the remaining four were optional. In contrast, there were six features that were not even available for the ES 350. In terms of scoring, this means the Buick LaCrosse CXS earns 80 points, where the Lexus ES 350 only manages 26.7 points.

Short-Term Memory Loss It's not completely smooth sailing for the Buick, however. We docked the LaCrosse several points for design errors, not just the blind spots caused by the C-pillars in this coupe-style design but also the thick A-pillars and bulky side mirrors. We're not exaggerating when we say that these enormous buttresses literally obscure pedestrians in crosswalks and entire vehicles at a four-way stop.

There were also weak door detents that could barely hold open a door on the slightest incline. Rather than a dedicated trunk release button within the cabin, you must use either the key fob or a touch pad on the trunk plinth itself. And finally, we're still nursing our bruised knees after having met the jutting portion of the wraparound dashboard when we entered the car. There's a programmable easy-entry feature that motors the driver seat aft to avoid this tight squeeze, but the car sometimes forgets to return the seat to the driving position.

Relics To be fair, the Lexus had its share of design foibles as well. The 2009 Lexus ES 350 interior looks and feels like an antique compared to the contemporary LaCrosse CXS. The promotional material for the Lexus even specifically calls out the ES 350's 1970s-era "electronic digital quartz clock."

The mahogany-tinted high-gloss wood looks like it came from a downmarket furniture store, and what's with the old Mercedes-style shift gate for the shift lever? And we nearly called an anthropologist when we spied the ES

350's cassette tape player. Sure, Lexus drivers are known enthusiasts of books on tape, but does Mark Levinson know it's still there?

Retirement Age The final demerit for the 2009 Lexus ES 350 regards its price. What starts out as a simple $1,580 price fissure that favors the better-equipped 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS grows to a $4,650 chasm at the bottom line once you compare feature content. If we were to subtract the ES 350's $4,250 navigation/Mark Levinson package from its bottom line, the car would still be $400 more expensive than the LaCrosse and even less competitive.

What at first appeared to be a put-up-or-shut-up proposition for Buick has resulted in a thorough embarrassment for Lexus. The two entry-level luxury sedans are effectively tied in our ratings of performance and fuel, but every place else - evaluation scores, feature content and price - the 2010 Buick LaCrosse walks away from the 2009 Lexus ES 350 with a decisive

17-point victory.

We're not saying the Lexus ES 350 is not a fine automobile; we're just saying its time has passed as a standard by which entry-level luxury sedans are to be measured. For that, you must consider the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS as the new leader in its class.

At first we questioned GM's strategy, not only with the LaCrosse itself but also with the notion of Buick as a genuine competitor for Lexus. But after this comparison, we have no doubt that the 2010 Buick LaCrosse is a game-changing, brand-defining automobile that will go far to both revitalize Buick and promote the new General Motors.

The manufacturers provided Edmunds these vehicles for the purposes of evaluation.

Reply to
David Z

Since I'm not considering one, what happens when a LaCrosse drives over a railroad crossing?

Reply to
David Z