Only in my dreams - so far

I guess I watch Speed TV too much, and think about a complete auto restoration/modification on my 84 Mercury Capri 5.0. The car is in nice original condition with less than 70K miles, but a 428 with a turbo or a blower sticking through the hood would be better. A complete frame off restoration and modification would probably cost 100K, so for now, it's only in my dreams. I did buy a lottery ticket! Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

Go the low-buck route. The Ford Motorsport catalog still sells the motor mounts and oil pan to put a 429/460 in your car. To me, it's an engine with more potential than the 428 anyway. If you are entering your car in a bunch of car shows, a frame-off would be nice, but if you are going to drive it regularly, it makes it that much more of a sleeper. After you got the engine installed and running, the blower and tubbed wheel wells can come later.....

Reply to
Kruse

In my younger days, I would replace engines, transmissions, and do lots of other auto stuff. I still have all my tools and they're around the house somewhere. I only drive the Capri

Reply to
Dick R.

"Dick R." wrote in news:e4SdncyaG6yTR6DUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.visi:

LOL. You're talking about a frame off and blown 428, and not driving the car because the tires are expensive. If you did all that, a new set of wheel and tires would be part of the deal, right? Get yourself a new set of wheels and tires, and put the metrics away for the museum someday.

Don't know if you know about this or not:

elaich

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Because I'm a retired older gentleman, with limited $$$ for fun stuff, my dreams will only come true if I win the lottery. Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

You can bolt on '85 and up 15" wheels. The bolt pattern is the same, as is the metric tire's rolling diameter compared to the stock 225-60/15's on the later Capri 5.0's (I have an '86) and GT's. Put the original rims and tires away, find some 10-hole GT rims on e-bay or Craigslist cheap, drop some cheap rubber on them and go make tire smoke. There's also lots of cheap go-fast goodies for a 5.0. No need for a 428, it'd just make the front end too heavy and probably ruin the handling without also doing alot of suspension work. Would obviously need a new tranny too. And any time you make the car go faster, you gotta beef up the brakes that much more too. Unless you like "Bodywork By Trees" ;-)

mkl

Reply to
Mike Lenker

Hey Mike, In our previous emails, didn't you say that only 84s and 85s had a 4 bolt pattern? What is a 10-hole GT rim? My 84 Capri is in my garage for a long winter sleep.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

I found your email from 2007, and yes, you mentioned the 85 and 86 rims were 4 bolt 15". Still curious about the 10-hole GT rims. Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

These are 10-holes

GILL

Thanks for the photo. Yup, those are nice wheels.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.