OT: I Want A Honda Element... Shoot Me?

It's finally time for us to buy a new car. It's time for my wife's '95 Accord EX to be replaced. We bought it new, and while we had a number of issues with it during its stay, overall it has been fairly reliable and still rides very nice. We just want something new/different.

So here are the criteria for the new wheels: (Note: This car is for my wife.)

- We no longer need a family car.

- Something that gets decent -- or around mid 20s -- for gas mileage.

- Something kinda small, and must be easy to see out of (my wife is very small and just over 5 feet tall)

- My wife wants an automatic.

- Must have some utility for runs to the hardware store, nursery, camping trips, hauling bicycles, etc.

- I don't want to spend over $20Gs. (Just in case the Cobra needs a new crate engine in the future or I get the itch myself for something new.)

This rules out/she has ruled out the Dodge Magnum R/T, Mustang GT, GTO, and WRX. Faced with this "fact", I still want her to get something decent, if not a little unique. After some research we got it down to three vehicles.

1) The Pontiac Vibe -- (built with the same mechanicals, but just different body panels as the Toyota Matrix). If we do this one, it's with the monochromatic paint [body is all one color] and real aluminum wheels.) It has nice vehicle dynamics for a tall wagon.

2) Scion Xb -- Surprisingly, with its small motor, an automatic trans still works in these. These are fun to run around in!

3) Honda Element -- I know... I've already heard it. 'It's the ugliest thing currently on the road.' And, 'the second ugliest thing ever built just behind the Aztec'. Sorry, I will only agree that its looks are "polarizing" -- you either love it or hate it. And I'm okay with that... at least it's not another two-box, blend-in-with-the-crowd SUV. (To me it looks like a pint-size milk truck.) If you don't get their appeal, I can only say go open one up -- they have neat suicide doors

-- and check it out from the inside. For an active person who likes biking, making runs to the nursery or hardware store, going to the beach, or camping, it's damn near perfect, I think. (Note: You can get them with painted fenders as opposed to the all-black plastic ones.)

Feedback?

Sorta on topic: With all the car shopping I've been doing, I had to squeeze in some time to test out some horsepower. And this last Saturday, I got my chance to get behind the wheel of a new GTO. All I can say is HOLY SHIT is that thing ever impressive! Three people in the car, the A/C blowing, and in hot/humid weather and it just ROCKED!! Whenever I stomped the gas, it ripped through the RPMs like it was supercharged, it would catch second gear with a loud chirp of the tires (it had an auto trans), the back end would kick hard to the right and it would continue to pull like a freight train. (For anyone to say it's not a real GTO/muscle car/whatever, they must be out of their freakin' head or have never driven one.) Now, after only one test drive, I'm having withdrawals... much like what felt after I road tested a leftover '85 GT Mustang in 1986... a car that later had me buying a new 5-liter fuelie LX in '87.

Comments?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Sounds like the Element meets all your needs. Why not go for it. I think they are very practical

Howard

89 5.0 LX vert
Reply to
Howard Nelson

BAH! Grandkids are just around the corner, mark my words.

Reply to
Kate

element will be out of style in a year or two, then look really dated/ugly

Reply to
Noland

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1159244431.596351.143700 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Too ugly IMO.

Neat for a shoebox, but the Xa is cooler.

Just saw a commercial last night for the Element ES (I think) - it's lowered with a few fancy things for under $20k. Might be worth a look.

Other possible contenders might be the Fit (Honda) or the Yaris (Toyota). Both come in well under $20k and they're supposed to be very roomy.

ROCKED!!

Glad you posted your true feelings about the GTO instead of some prejudicial heresay (not that you'd do that). Even though lots of people don't seem to like it, the GTO is one helluva car.

BTW, within a two week span I've seen a Ford GT, a Hertz Mustang (gorgeous blonde driving), numerous Ferarris, a couple Lambos, and a Hummer with at least 26" dubs all on public roads around here. Welcome to SoFla.

Joe

Take another good look at a monochrome version. They're decent looking, IMO. With the vehicle painted all one color it looks more like a car, which it is, or at least more so than it is a truck.

You think so... to me the Xa isn't a design that flows. The proportions are wrong, IMO.

It'll be over $20K. Mine is an EX at it ran $19K+.

I know, and I've been trying to convince everyone who disagrees that it is. Same with the Charger. I mean what's not to like, 300-400 horsepower V8 and RWD... these are two vehicles we would have killed for just 10 years ago.

We don't see too much of that up here in LA.

That's a trend I'd like to see die.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L