Ping->Backyard Mechanic

Hey, just thought I'd give ya an update on my fiero problem lol...

Went to fix the motor mounts today and screamed.

while the engine has shifted due to the motor mount, and this is causing the crank pulley to grind on acceleration..

The problem isn't actually the mount itself.

The complete drive train of that car sits on a cradle that the mounts connect to, and this cradle is connected to the chassis. Making it possible to drop the complete drivetrain as a single unit...

Well, part of the cradle broke off where the motor mount connects to it.I think there's about a quater inch worth of metal still connected to the cradle keeping that mount "in place"...

*sigh*...now trying to figure out what to do lol...

Stephan

1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8L V6 Automatic 215 40ZR17 Yokohoma ES 100 Front 235 40ZR17 Yokohoma ES 100 Rear
Reply to
Stephan Rose

Stephan Rose opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I had that same feeling when my TBird fell on its nose in an apartment driveway after I put off fixing a squeaky ball-joint for too long.

NR-ROFL \

  1. fix it

  1. thank the lord you didnt find out about it on the freeway doing 70 mph

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

After owning a '91 SC and reading the SCCOA forums for a little while, I realized that it wasn't a good idea to put off squeaky ball joints on those cars. The odd thing was that it always seemed that they broke and dropped on their nose in the driveway or alley-way on the way to the garage. There weren't any stories of the ball joints giving up at speed....

Odd, but fortunately everyone was ok. If that would happen at highway speeds, there'd almost surely be some carnage...

JS

Reply to
JS

Well, the issue with this are the following...

  1. I don't have the resources to drop the whole drivetrain...
1a. If I did, you bet a new drivetrain is gonna go in it! 1b. Car is currently located at parents house, who are moving within two months, I couldn't even get the money together for a drivetrain swap in that time...

  1. I can't even seem to locate a replacement cradle =( and getting one form a junkard is dangerous as there are FIVE different ones, all depending on year and engine/tranny combo, etc.!

Trying to figure out a way to replace the cradle, without dropping the whole drivetrain with it. Thinking just supporting the drivetrain w/ an engine hoist that i could rent would do it...that way I could just drop the cradle out the bottom, put new one in, assuming I can find a new one...

Well, I'll keep ya updated =)

While I'm about as far away from religious as it can get, I am still happy I didn't find out on the freeway at my average 80-85mph I generally do, anything slower around here is suicide! Especially when driving a car that is about half the height of the average SUV out there...

Stephan

1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8L V6 Automatic 215 40ZR17 Yokohoma ES 100 Front 235 40ZR17 Yokohoma ES 100 Rear
Reply to
Stephan Rose

Is there any way to patch weld it?

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

This is probably a fairly stressed part... every time you romp on the throttle, it'll be putting stress on this piece. Unless you know somoene pretty damn good with a welder and can brace it properly, it'll probably fail again....

JS

Reply to
JS