Question (again) about differential ratio.

So, I would swear my my drive shaft turns precisley two revolutions for every one wheel revolution. Shouldn't it be a ratio like (for example)

2.73:1?

Thanks.

Reply to
pawn

yes it should...i suggest makink like 20 turn...it will be more precise "pawn" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@gandalf.hanneng.com...

Reply to
sébastien moreau

If one wheel is on the ground while you perform the test and you don't have a locking differential then you will multiply the rotation by 2 you mau likely have a 4.10:1 rearend gear ratio.

Reply to
Edward Ginsberg

Thank you, I didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense since the gears would be completely compensating for a turn at that point. The gears are supposed to be 4.11's, so I'd say you're about right.

Reply to
pawn

Thank you, that makes sense. I think I was more put off by thet fact it was only spinning *about* twice per wheel revolution. I've never heard of gears that low, so I figured I was doing something wrong. Edward's reasoning below explains the confusion.

Reply to
pawn

What gear ratio do I have? Jack up one tire if you have an open differential(diff), or both tires if you have a limited slip or locking diff. Put the transmission in neutral. Rotate the tire one full revolution for limited slip and locking diffs and 2 full revolutions for open diffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In other words, if the drive shaft turns 3 ¾ turns, you probably have a 3.73 gear ratio. Turning the tire for twice the number of full revolutions and dividing the drive shaft revolutions by two will give you a more accurate reading.

Do I have a limited slip or locking differential? Jack up both tires. Put the transmission in neutral. Turn one tire. If the other tire spins the opposite direction you have an open diff, and if it spins the same direction you have a limited slip or locking diff.

Some good information on this subject is given @

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Reply to