Re: 2001 gt tire pressure

If you notice, that pressure spec goes hand in hand with the max load spec and likely has little to do with the manufacturer (in this case Ford) tire pressure spec. Also of worthy note is that tire manufacturers are constantly telling us to refer to teh vehicle manufacturers spec when setting tire pressures.

Don't have the WSMs handy but the original poster may look at the passenger door for a sticker or (I can't remember the year break) even on the VIN sticker on the drivers door.

Most tires if not all have a max PSI embossed on the side of the tires. Also > most tire places put 35 in them when mounting. > > I used to work for a tire company many years ago and things may have > changed. > > -- > Sonny > 67 coupe > > Hi Could someone please post the recommended tire pressure for a 2001 gt > > with 245 Goodyear tires. There is suppose > > to be a label affixed to the inside of the glove box but there is none. > The > > dealer was no help. I am keeping the tires at > > 30lbs. Just want to get the proper pressure. Thanks in advance. > > > > > >
Reply to
Jim Warman

Rein

Really. Who says? I would suggest that in the absence of any empirical data one should follow the manufacture's recommended pressure for that particular tire size.

Reply to
Richard

The manufacturer refers to the automakers numbers. These numbers are for comfort, They don't care if your tires wear better if you add 5 psi. I have personally experienced this on several sets of tires on my

95GT. At 30psi (and being anal about it) they wore on the outsides more than in the middle. Discount tire puts in 35 psi and that's where it should be. So after the first set I kept them at 35 psi and get even wear. suit yourself.

Rein

I suspect the tires wearing on the edge might be related to your driving style or the roads you drive on. I keep my tires at the proper pressure (the ones recommended by Ford and the tire manufacturer, not the ones recommended by some high school kid at Duty Tire) and they wear perfectly.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

comfortable

The air pressure is pretty easy and CHEAP to change, compared to Springs and Shocks.

26PSI, that I heard was recommened for Explorers... you know the ones that seemed to have a problem with tires having blow outs. They should have been running at 34-36PSI.

If it were fuel mileage alone Ford would be recommending 40 PSI in Mustangs. I keep mine at 36 PSI most of the time, to 40 PSI for extened highway trips.

Reply to
HOG FVR

then how do you explain the tires no longer wearing on the edges since I have been putting 35 psi in them ? hmm....tire-pressure, enough said.

besides, this is a professional tire shop. They do nothing but tires and wheels.

The roads I drive on are probably one of the smoothest in the US.

Rein

Engineering ?? haha, we're talking about the mustang here, one of the oldest platforms around today. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Not when you are building a new car. Don't you think if a 5 psi increase in tire pressure would increase gas mileage by 1%, Ford would be willing to change the spring rate and shock valving so the higher tire pressure would feel about the same?

26 psi was an adequate pressure based on the load inflation tables for the OE Explorer tires. Ford's mistake was installing tires from a manufacturer that did not makes tires that matched industry standard requirements.

A few important facts that you seem unaware of. 1) A Ford engineer specifically stated that the 26 psi was recommended for safety reasons. They were trying to slow down the steering response so that people would not lose control of the vehicle and get it sideways. 2) In congressional testimony Firestone admitted that 26 psi was an adequate tire pressure for the application. 3) Both Toyata and Nissan recommended the same pressures for some tires of the same size and load carrying capacity that were installed on some models of their similar sized SUVs. 4) According to the load inflation tables, the tires installed on an Explorer were rated to carry a heavier load at 26 psi than some tires installed on 4 door Blazers that were inflated to 35 psi.

It is my opinion that the Explorer fiasco was related to poor quality tires, a pressure that was on the low end of the acceptable range, people who did not bother to check the tire pressure, and overloaded vehicles. Since Ford raised the recommended pressures to 30 psi and got the Firestone tires off the vehicles, the incidence of Explorer rollovers has dropped to nil. Of course it was virtually nil for Explorers equipped with Goodyears even when the recommended pressure was 26 psi.

I doubt that you could detect the difference in fuel economy between 30 psi and

40 psi. When Ford recommends 5W20 oil, everyone jumps out of the wood work and says they are doing so it to get a 0.000005% increase in gas mileage. When Ford doesn't increase the tire pressure to the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall, the people who claim incredible increases in gas mileage for minor increases in tire pressure don't seem to think it is strange. There is some weird inconsistencey here.....

You are entitled to do that. That doesn't make it "right" or even sensible. 4 or

5 extra psi is certainly a better idea than 4 or 5 psi lower than recommeneded.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White