Remember the Capri?

Wow it's been a long time since I posted on this board. I have owned several Mustangs in the past (all GTs), 3 fox bodies and one SN95. Well I'm driving down a local highway in my truck and I pass what looks to be a early

80s Capri for sale (you know, the Mercury version of the Mustang). I go back, pull over and take a few pics. It's a 5.0 RS. Needs paint and who knows what else.

How are the Capris of this vintage regarded by Mustang aficionados these days? Would this one generally be worth any more than a comparable year GT? I think it would be pretty cool painted all black ;-) One certainly doesn't see them around much anymore. Would it be reagrded as an oddball or a welcome variation at most Mustang meets/shows?

Thanks and keep it safe.

Alan C.

Reply to
Alan Chapman

I've always liked them. Usually it just comes down to styling likes and dislikes as they really are a Mustang basically. A lot of people seem to dislike the bubble hatch on the later ones. I'm not bothered about them. I had an '80 RS straight 6, 4 gear with TRX. I loved that car. They are certainly rarer than the Mustang but that doesn't mean more popular though. One would catch my eye in a whole row of Mustangs but I've always been an old Merc guy too. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I had a 73 Capri when I lived in Alaska. It wasn't the "Mustang" version, it was the German version. Man that little sumbitch would scoot, and it handled like a sports car.

Ahhh.. .memories, racing a Pontiac (GTO or LeMans, forget which it was...) up the Kenai peninsula and whomping his but big time.

oh what I would give to be that young again. and fearless.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I've owned three or four 5.0 Capris, including an '86 with the McLaren bubble hatch from an '83 and a hood from a different '83. It was painted two tone, medium blue and black, and the raised hood accents were black as well. SEFI 5.0 5-speed car, 180k on the clock, but it ran great and looked even better.

I like the bubble hatches, but many didn't. I don't think they're really worth all that much more than a Mustang, if anything. In fact, most people don't even know what they are. Only once did I ever have anyone come over to me and say "Hey, nice Capri." Usually, it was "Hey, is that a Mustang?" or "What is that?"

Maybe someday I'll get pics of my old car... or maybe I'll just buy it back off the guy who bought it off of me as a winter beater or something.... it's in need of some suspension work and it's puking antifreeze out of the block... *sigh*

JS

Reply to
JS

The Capri is still quite popular here in South Africa. In the 70's a V8 version was produced locally, with a modified Windsor 289. It was called the Peranha and painted bright yellow with black markings. A similiar conversion was also performed for the Granada. There are still a few Capri Peranha's that compete in national track events.

certainly rarer

Reply to
Lukie Snyman

As long as it dosen't have that gawd alful bubble hatch I prefer the look of a capri over a simular year stang. I have even seen a few Capris with Mustang noses and that looks pretty sweet too.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Ah ,the nostalgia.I liked the Capri's when i was a kid/teen in the UK,I always wanted the 2.8i but i couldnt afford one at the time. To see more UK Capris and other Fords,check out these links below

Andrew

(BritishCapris,Escorts,Granadas and more)

80s Capri for sale (you know, the Mercury version of the Mustang). I go back, pull over and take a few pics. It's a 5.0 RS. Needs paint and who knows what else.

How are the Capris of this vintage regarded by Mustang aficionados these days? Would this one generally be worth any more than a comparable year GT? I think it would be pretty cool painted all black ;-) One certainly doesn't see them around much anymore. Would it be reagrded as an oddball or a welcome variation at most Mustang meets/shows?

Thanks and keep it safe.

Alan C.

Reply to
me

When I was stationed in Sicily, I purchased a '69 Capri, made in GE. Had a little V6 and a fours speed. What a great little car. Everybody called it "The Silver Bullet". That car was famous around the base. Or maybe infamous (which is more than famous). I really wanted to bring it back to the states with me. But it cost to much to meet US standards at the time. Oh, well.

AFA the 5.0 Capri's go, they are nearly mechanically the same as a Mustang. The differance was in sprang/shocks rates - softer for a smoother ride. Personally, I like the styling. But I wouldn't pay any more (or less) than for a similar Mustang.

Reply to
boB

I have a 86 Troof Capri RS 5.0 Black with biege interior. Still runs and drives. People certainly look when you go by or sitting at a light. Stu this is another good project LOL..

Reply to
69GT4spdtrac-loc

I see what you mean. I only have 6 cars in my driveway at the moment and one is FastEds Cougar. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Hey Kate,

A 73 Capri was my 1st car!! It came with a factory vinyl top and sunroof!

Man! The stories that car could tell! :>)

It had a 2600cc V-6. The 2800cc started in 1974. FYI, that little German solid lifter cam is the basis of alot of other Ford V-6 engines1

I also owned a 79 Capri RS with a 2800cc V-6 (same basic engine as in my

73). Loved that car!! It was pretty slow, but it still was fun as hell!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

I think I remember your name. Welcome back, Alan.

I think they're very cool... bubble hatch and all.

Probably not. The Mustang name/badge historically fetches bigger dollars. Just look at the early Mustangs vs Cougars.

And that's why they're cool, and will, IMO, be even cooler in the future.

Both. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Yah Stu two Torino's. 1Capri,1 mustang vert, 1 van,1 escort to many.

Reply to
69GT4spdtrac-loc

That was one rootin tootin little go getter let me tol' you! How funny that it was your first. My capri was my 2nd, my 69 RS was my first.

Kate

| > Ahhh.. .memories, racing a Pontiac (GTO or LeMans, forget which it was...) | > up the Kenai peninsula and whomping his but big time. | >

| > oh what I would give to be that young again. | > and fearless. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

This brings back memories.

When I was a mere lad living in England, I bought a 1970 Broadspeed Bullit, made by a tuner named Ralph Broad. This thing was a heavily modified 3.0 Capri GT which had different cams, head, carb, suspension, spoilers and Minilite wheels.

I posted a picture of my old car:

The front spoiler with the additional Cibié lights is gone in this picture as I dimly recall I had an argument with the famous Chiswick Roundabout near London, which if you've ever driven around London is basically a race track. I lost it in the wet, and my spoiler and lights were crushed in the process.

This thing was fast... bear in mind that this was 34 years ago. It would get to 60 in 7.5 with a top speed of 126mph. In those days it ate Porsches and most other cars around.

Reply to
Scudder

Great cars in my opinion, nice to have a little different look from the fox bodied stangs! Just don't expect to find any replacement exterior parts, damn near impossible. I have an 85 RS, 82 GS, and 80 RS Drag car thats running 8.95 in preliminary setup. (not that all my crap matters) Just putting in my two cents from experience.

Reply to
dave

"Scudder" wrote| | This brings back memories. |

Didn't it though! Nice trip down memory lane :) Kate

| When I was a mere lad living in England, I bought a 1970 Broadspeed | Bullit, made by a tuner named Ralph Broad. This thing was a heavily | modified 3.0 Capri GT which had different cams, head, carb, suspension, | spoilers and Minilite wheels. | | I posted a picture of my old car: | |

| | The front spoiler with the additional Cibié lights is gone in this | picture as I dimly recall I had an argument with the famous Chiswick | Roundabout near London, which if you've ever driven around London is | basically a race track. I lost it in the wet, and my spoiler and lights | were crushed in the process. | | This thing was fast... bear in mind that this was 34 years ago. It | would get to 60 in 7.5 with a top speed of 126mph. In those days it ate | Porsches and most other cars around.

Reply to
SVTKate

Daily driver is an '82 Capri - '93 5.0 & AOD, ABS, 98 Cobra brakes up front,

95 GT discs in the rear, 95 instrument panel/interior + lots of other goodies.

Actually, I sort of own a 82 Capri VIN plate.

Reply to
Jim S.

Jim,

Can you post pictures of your car? I'm intrigued.... especially of the '95 interior in the '82 body... big fan of the Capris too. :-)

JS

Reply to
JS

I've been without a digital camera for awhile so the picture is rather old, and shows but an incomplete conversion. However, it should give the basic idea of how the SN95 IP fits in the FOX chassis. Quite a bit of the back of the IP had to be cut out. The defrost vent is right against the glass. As you may know, normalwise on SN95s there is a bit of real-estate between the vent and windscreen. New mounting brackets had to be welded on. I used my 82 evaporator case and had to modify the ducts meet properly . For the electronics, I used a 95 instrument cluster and everything hooked up fairly easily. Biggest problem on the IP was the temperature door cable. The door panels were quite a worriment though. I had to move the handles - Musttanguy found me some T-bird door handles that made my life a bit easier though :) - Long story short, I ended up hacking a few panels to pieces before I got the proportions and everything correct.

Now, the car is great. No rattles or squeaks, lots of people tell me the 95 interior is pretty funky in an '82. I've yet to see another conversion like this.

I'll have to take some proper pictures one of these days...

Jim S. '82 Mutant.

Reply to
Jim S.