"reverse engineering" a 302

I purchased an 85 Mustang from a friend who was in need of cash. He is the

2nd owner since the engine was done and unfortunately has no documentation. I've driven the car - it hauls big time and pulls past 6 grand without a problem. The car was built from a 4 banger and the overall craftsmanship is excellent - that's what made me buy it despite the lack of information on the engine. The stuff he "knows", it's bored 30 over and puts out "about 385 horse". I intend to verify that on the dyno.

Anyways my question, should I expect to see brands/part no's stamped on internals if I drop the pan and pull the valve covers? How far can I go and does anyone have any suggestions for "reverse engineering" my 302 (er, well I think it's a 306)?

TIA, you guys have been great as I'm new to this group and Mustangs (or RWD cars for that matter).

Jason

Reply to
Jason Mc New

Just what are you trying to find out, and why? If its just a curiosity search then you may not want to go digging to hard. You can't just "drop the oil pan" on a mustang chassis not to mention there won't be a lot there for you to see unless you know what your looking for. You could look for some part numbers on the heads, but you might have to drop the front accessory brackets off to find the part numbers for aftermarket heads. You could pull the valve covers and check for roller rockers, but that's about it. If you have a dial indictor you could get your valve lift as well. I think you best bet is to put it on a dyno like you plan and if it comes anywhere close to the 385 hp you were sold be happy and drive the car. If you having doubts about its power or need to know exactly what's in it your looking at pulling the engine and tearing it down to id the parts. Its not really worth that IMO if your happy with the performance.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Thanks for your thoughts. My best bet would probably be to track down the prior owner and find out who built the engine I guess. I did buy the car to enjoy, but also as an investment since I got a very good deal on it. Knowing the details of it's innards would be a big plus should I ever decide to sell it.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Mc New

good deal on it.

A dyno sheet will go a lot farther than a laundry list of parts so I think your on the right track there. As for buying the car as an investment...now you newbie status is showing :) See if you think a performance car is an investment in a year or two.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG