Serpentine Belt Problem

The A/C Compressor (with "Factory Air" and not "dealer air") died in my 93 GT about 18 months ago and the Compressor Clutch recently failed catastrophically. Since I cannot afford to replace the Compressor and it seems silly to replace the Compressor Clutch if I am not going to have A/C anyway, I decided to buy a shorter Serpentine Belt and simply bypass the A/C Compressor Clutch Pulley.

Makes sense, right?

Well, the specs for a 93 GT w/o A/C call for an 84.5" belt, which was too small. An 85.5" belt was also too small and an 86.5" belt was too big.

With the Automatic Tensioner up, I was able to get an 86.0" belt on with the help of a screwdriver and a fair amount of effort, but when I released the Automatic Tensioner, the "bottom" of the belt at a location in between the P/S Pulley and the Automatic Tensioner Pulley now comes with 1/16" of the "top" of the belt as it travels around the Fan Pulley. (Once the belt stretches just a little, the "bottom" of the belt and the "top" of the belt will most definitely touch as it did with an 86.5" belt.)

Now what do I do?

Thanks!

Steve

gfr92y at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Steve Forrestor

Just a thought but with the A/C delete is there a slight change in the belt/pulley configuration. The fact that you indicate that the belt between the P/S and the tensioner is close indicates that the routing may be wrong. Seems that the tensioner should be able to adjust 1"+/-.

Reply to
Richard

An original Ford sticker under the hood contains a diagram with both the belt routing with and without the A/C Compressor superimposed over each other. The only difference in the routing is the presence or absence of the A/C Compressor Pulley. As a matter of fact, the diagram also shows the "two" belts coming awfully close to each other.

Some ideas I have considered include:

(1) If possible and if advisable, reducing the force that the Automatic Tensioner applies to the belt.

(2) Replace the Automatic Tensioner with a manually adjusted tensioner.

(3) Moving either or both the Alternator and/or P/S Pump up. (The problem is I do not see what would appear to be a Pivot Bolt and a Slide Bolt. Everything looks like it is in a fixed position.)

I would sure like to hear anyone's thoughts on this situation!

Steve

gfr92y at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Steve Forrestor

may be cheaper to get new compressor clutch, or one from junk yard.

There are some more belt sizes, try a really tight one. (takes more time)

I have problems with belts stretching out too quickly I have 1993 5.0 with supercharger, have longer belt, and they last about 6 months, stretch out and Auto Tensioned is out of room. (think it is the brand of belts, AutoZone sells cheap stuff)

Moving accessories around is a real bitch, I had to rotate the AC unit, use new bracket to hold it, and cut and drill old mount to hold new bracket, new AC hose, and so on......

Reply to
the Zodness

"Steve Forrestor" wrote in news:5MNDg.26542$zc2.16729@trnddc06:

Steve, I recently replaced my wife's A/C compressor on her Chrysler T&C with a rebuilt unit, I got it off of ebay for almost 1/2 the price the stores around here charge. I have no affiliation with the seller but if you are interested I will give you his screen name and you can contact him for pricing. A/C units is all he sells and I paid $149 when the best price I could find in a parts store was $240 and new was $400+. Probably easier to replace the unit than mess with a/c delete belts and the problems you seem to be having. DW

Reply to
DW