Starting problem w/new engine

Hello, I am new here and am looking for some advice. I have a 65 Mustang with a rebuilt 302 and seem to have a problem getting it running. The engine cranks and starts, but only stays running for a few seconds and dies out. It has a Mallory electronic distributor and coil and a Carter afb 4 barrel carb. The engine has compression on all cyliders as well as spark and seems to be getting fuel to the carb. Any advice would be very helpful, Thanks

Reply to
FastOrange347

Maybe a schtuck float and the bowl is not getting fuel fast enough.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Is your fuel pump weak or fuel filter clogged? Has it been sitting a while and the rust sediment from the tank getting dislodged and clogging up things? Also check the fuel line for damage from the engine swap or jacking, etc. It could be pinched. Let us know what you find out. Of course it could be an electrical issue too. :)~

Reply to
Mark C.

Thanks for the advise, I think it is probably a fuel problem, as it seems to be getting spark and I am pretty sure the timing is set right. The car has been sitting for a while. Will be yanking the carb for a rebuild(with a new set of floats) this weekend. If that doesn't fix it, I will check the fuel tank and lines. Thanks

Reply to
FastOrange347