strange clunking/creaking sound

I just started noticing this noise today, whenever I brake to slow down, I keep getting this sound that's like a clunk or a creak. If I press the
brake pedal when I'm completely stopped I don't get the sound so I'm thinking that it might be the suspension. It seems to be coming from driver's side in the front. About the only bit of extra load the driver's side gets that the passenger side doesn't is when I'm pulling into the driveway coming home there's a bit of a bump up as I'm turning right to go to my parking spot, and when I go to work there's a 25 mph exit ramp that also turns right... both of which shouldn't be causing enough stress to break anything. Anyone have any ideas what this could be and why it would just start making noise today instead of getting gradually getting louder/worse?
-- James, '94 GT remove "NO-SPAM" from email address to reply
I would say jack the car up and look underneath it. turn the wheels hard in both directions and while they are out check out the plastic fender liners for tire rubbing and the little plastic air dam in the fromt under the bumper. Both of these items are held on by plastic clips, one may have come loose in a hard to see area.
Kate 98 Cobra Drop Top