wiring help, gt500kr

in the struggle to get the starter solenoid to respond to the ignition switch i had to remove the tilt wheel vacuum motor assembly and rework a set of contacts inside. to make a longer story shorter in this same bracket i see a relay number C8ZA 3E553A. after ohming it out and figuring out what was inside it also had to be disassembled,reworked and reassembled. the trouble is i cant find this part in any of my sets of schematics. does anyone know it's function and where it appears in the schematics?

Reply to
carl

Do you have a '67 or '68 Shop manual. The wiring diagram for the tilt is separate from the regular schematics. In my '67 manual it is in the section 3-3 under the manual steering section. It is called the steering column relay. It looks for contacts on the door jamb switches and courtesy light switch to operate the vacuum release valve.

Looks like a simple N/C relay. When the ignition is on it opens and interrupts the connection between the door jamb switch and the vacuum release. Thus it will only tilt away when the ignition is off and the door is open as the switches will all be closed in series to operate the release valve. LMK and I can explain it further or see if I can get a copy of the schematic for you. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

i have the 68 shop manual, the electrical assembly manual and the separate 68 wiring diagrams. i *thought* that i had looked all through them (the steering sections specifically) for a relay but never saw the

3e553a > Do you have a '67 or '68 Shop manual. The wiring diagram for the tilt is

separate from the

if I can get

Reply to
carl

It may be in 3-3 of the '68! They don't change much. LMK and maybe I can get a copy of the '67 page to you if it isn't in the '68. My '68's on loan so I can't verify at the moment StuK

the

steering

switches

in

get

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

copy of the

Reply to
carl

Sounds like they added the switch to temporarily short out a bad relay or component during start. The power to the column relay comes from the A terminal of the ignition switch through a 7.5 Amp inline fuse . The S terminal seems to go direct to the starter relay with nothing to do with the tilt column(? ) The only thing in that circuit is the safety switch and you said it "rings out" okay. My diagram is only stock Mustang so I can't speak for any additional Shelby equipment that I'm not familiar with. Romex is a nice touch....house wiring I guess they may use BX in the engine bay for protection!!! Did you find a tilt diagram in the '68 manual?

StuK

the

from

tilt

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

component during

can't speak

protection!!! Did you

Reply to
carl

Okay I see it now in the diagram it looks a bit like the rounded switch used on a fridge door!

Hehe I eat that wiring stuff up ( I do computer wiring for a living!) Glad you found what the problem was. I do so HATE fixing other peoples shoddy work so I know what ya mean. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Is this where I offer to take the car off your hands for cheap? ;-)

Just kidding. Good luck with your wiring project. How's the rest of the car?

JS

Reply to
JS

the car, which used to be my parents car, was last registered in 84. yea, it was their grocery getter. the 428 has been redone as has the c6. the engine compartment stripped and painted with new front end pieces fitted. power steering control rebuilt, as was the alternator and power steering pump. oh yea...the holley got rebuilt too but for some reason the motor isnt responding to the air screws. i didnt want to buck up for the pricey smog tubes so i machined plugs for the air injection nozzle ports and fit a performer rpm intake. the 120 pound POS stock cast iron intake has found a home in the garage forever. the body is cancer free but needs some body work due to next door neighbors in their caddies (my parents have a hard clay driveway which gets really slick when it rains, and in nor-cal that is often) and cousins with their atv's. no kidding....a cousin in a honda pilot did one hell of a bunch of damage to the drivers door. i'll probably have to have it re-skinned. the caddie tapped it right between the tail lights but it isnt hardly noticeable. i will have to replace the tail light panel though. my little brother hit something in the front. the lower cowling is broken in half. the interior is pretty rough but not all that bad considering this thing is 36 years old.

JS wrote:

Reply to
carl

Reply to