hot air on acceleration

Hello all.

'82 280ZX non-turbo, been parked a couple years in the garage. Before it was parked, it had gotten all-new a/c.

Now I find that when I accelerate- other words, whenever the engine has to work hard at all- the cold air from front vents stops, and hot air blows from the floor vents.

Anyone had experience with this? Any ideas? If it's some kind of hose cracked, where might I look for this hose?

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
freemont

You have a vac leak issue. I HOPE it isn't auto air as those are next to imposible to fix. If it's manual type, look around the tank under the hood for cracked hose ends..

Reply to
Steve T

Thank you Steve. What tank? What's it next to?

Reply to
freemont

The vacuum tank. It's the one with the small vacuum hoses going to it. It's very comon for the ends of the hose to split and ceate a leak.

Reply to
Steve T

ahhh it's all coming back to me. This is the black tank towards the front of the hood, passenger side, in front of the a/c thing with the lens where you look for bubbles, correct? The one with the hose I kept having to cut years ago when I drove the car regularly. The hose that kept getting shorter and shorter. It seems that at some point I tried forcing the split-prone end of the smaller hose into a piece of larger hose, and that has kept it from splitting for a while. But now there's the tiniest little split creeping from under that portion of larger hose. This must be the culprit.

That little hose goes through the hood wall into the dash. If I just keep cutting it I'll eventually run out of hose. I really don't want to go digging around in the dash trying to replace that whole thing, unless it's easy. Do you know of any way to permanently repair such a hose so that it won't split any more?

Reply to
freemont

Nope, the one with the bubbles is the A/C drier..

Different tank but yes THAT is the one,

It is..

Replace it is the only option. It connects to a T fitting under the glove box and you can couple a new hose to the old and pull the new piece through the firewall CAREFULLY! Good luck with this repair.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks again, Steve. I was able to skoot the piece of larger hose a little farther onto the smaller(original) hose and cover the split, and it solved the problem- for now. Look here:

Back when I drove it and had identified the problem, thank goodness, I had the foresight to start using new hose from the tank. There's still some slack on the old hose.

Anyway, can I get to the other end of that hose by simply pulling out the glove box? It seems I tried that way back when and couldn't find it. Is it up there somewhere by simply pulling out the glove box? Getting it through the firewall won't be a problem- that's what they made string for.

(I also looked at your website. Lots of good information there, but are you interested in having it redone? I'm in Perry, btw.)

Reply to
freemont

Remove the lower dash cover under the glove box and look towards the center console area and you should see this hose and the vac T..

You won't get anywhere removing the glove box. The hose feeds in behind the A/C evap box, which is why you have to feed it through using the old hose CAREFULLY.

As far as the web site, the owner isn't interesting in paying to get it redone or I'd already have done it! :-)

Reply to
Steve T