Mopar small block in Z - how to hook up temp guage & elec. fan.

Hi everyone, As the subject says, I need a solution for installing the temp sensor (I have a new Z sending unit, but no fittings) to a small-block mopar. The mopar block sending unit hole is too small to use the Z sender in; where/how should I install it? Also, where/how should I install the (temperature) switch for the electric fan? What would be the best switch to use, & at what temp should it turn on the fan? Of course I have a Howe aluminum radiator to keep it cool, & it dosen't have any fittings for these. TIA, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

The bitch is the Z sending unit relies on a "flare" fit into the housing to seal it, the threaded part isn't sealed to the sending unit itself, it's made in two pieces. Maybe someone has figured out a sender for a chevy V8 that works you can adapt?

Just below the thermostat housing, like in the front of the intake before the thermostat?

Reply to
Steve T

Hi Steve, The problem with the guage sender is that the intake dosen't have much material around the mopar sending unit. If it wasn't for that, I could just drill it out & tap it, leaving a flange for the Z sender to sit in, & tapped for a fitting that fit over the Z sender. I may have to just weld up around the sending unit. I'm not sure that there is room under the thermostat housing either - I'll check that tomorrow. Any idea what switch I should use & at what temp it needs to turn on the fan? I plan to run a 160 degree thermostat. Nice to know about you - I visited your website (I'm above Atlanta). Your site *does* need some professional help, though. It's *really* irritating to visit with all the pop-ups, ads, & even a *search* frame on the left poping up with every page! Worst I've seen in awhile! Also, I saw some no-nos such as using "Click Here" for links - not good. When you decide to get *serious* about your site let me know - I might even do some trading out for parts in exchange for web design & hosting. :-) Thanks for the response, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I'd run a 180 and have the fans come on around 195.

My boss doesn't want to pay for web hosting, hence the pop-ups.. Sorry.

I use a hosts file/mozilla so I don't see any of that stuff :-)

Reply to
Steve T

Naw, I like to run a cooler engine, especially when I'm pushing it hard. :-)

Not a problem; it's his loss. Statistics show that when most folks go to a page like that, they get fed up immediately & just leave (myself included).

I use I.E. because that's still the most popular browser, & I like to see what most others see (for the web design purpose). I test my sites in 3 versions of I.E. (soon to be 4), Mozilla on windoze & linix, Opera, I.E. on the Mac, & three versions of netscape. Also on several different operating systems & using several different screen resolutions. I like Mozilla the best, though. I'll give ya' a "holler" next time I need some Z parts. (would now if I had the $$$ :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Why? 160 is too cold IMHO and you're not likely to be able to keep it that low anyway. It's not going to make more power being kept that cold. You need to regulate it at a temp you can hold and having it run at 160 some of the time and 185+ at others makes tuning a nightmare.

Reply to
Steve T

low anyway. It's not going to make more power being kept that cold. You need to regulate it at a temp you can hold and having it run at 160 some of the time and 185+ at others makes tuning a nightmare

Well, I'm an *old* codger. I've always run 160's. In fact the 340 that'll be running in this car has always run *great* with the 160! Would do

140mph in the '71 Roadrunner. Turn the 1/4 right at 13. All with a 3-speed, & a 323 gear. I remember when all new cars *came* with 160's in them, & the reason they went to 180's in the first place was to help with all the new pollution crap. The 160 will not make the car actually run at 160, it'll just start cooling it down at that point. It'll probably run at 170 or so during normal cruising (which is fine with me), & go to 180 or 190 when pushed hard. As for tuning, it's a small-block mopar, remember - It'll run like a bat outta hell at any temp! :-) I'll try to remember to get back to you once it's on the road/track & let you know what temps it's running at. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver