Automatic transmission slippage

I have an '87 Nissan van. I have noticed that when I'm cruising and back off the gas, that the engine RPM immediately slows down by a few hundred RPM. I'm wondering if this is normal, or a sign of impending transmission problem. I thought most automatics were designed to lock the torque converter when not accelerating, and did not expect the variation. FWIW, 180,000 miles on the van.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Most don't leave it locked when you decel. Many also have a slight RPM increase and then drop (lock converter) when you reapply the throttle.

Reply to
Steve T

An 87 Van ?!?

why didn't you get Nissan to buy it back when you hade the chance ??

Those things are worse than the Corvair.

UNSAFE ......PERIOD !!!

Reply to
NissTech

What exactly was the big problem? I seem to recall, didn't the engine blocks have a defect? I know working on them really sucked. Might be worth something one day since most got bought back? :-)

Reply to
Steve T

engine blocks

worth

They had engine overheating or fire problems. The recalls were costing them too much so they decided to buy them back. It's a great vehicle for my uses. A mini van that easily fits 4x8 sheets inside. The engine hold up very well - 180K and still doesn't burn oil. Mine's had all the recalls.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

What was the o-heating problem? Seems like I read some had internal coolant leaks due to bad block castings?

Reply to
Steve T

internal coolant

IIRC, first one was the power steering hoses would break down and cause a fire. Second was the radiator hoses would break down and cause a fire. Third was the fan belt would break and cause a fire. Forth one involved replacing the radiator and any then defective other parts and adding a couple computer boxes to limit the engine RPM if the engine overheats. I believe they replaced the exhaust header, catalyst, and a few other parts on mine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob