California Smog Test

I'm having a severe problem getting my 1987 Nissan to pass the California Smog Test. For the second time in a row, I was required to go to a "Test Only" station. These stations are not allowed to perform any repairs and therefore when I failed, I had to take my car to another mechanic. The car is one of the last carbureted models manufactured by Nissan.

This mechanic worked on the car and made some adjustments to the timing. He also replaced the EGR valve. Unfortunately, although he is a licensed California Smog Mechanic, he couldn't sign me off for the smog test as I had to go back to the "Test Only" station.

The car passed the HC and CO tests easily but failed the NO tests by a significant margin. Assuming that the EGR valve was properly replaced and is working correctly now, is this condition something that replacing the catalytic converter might solve?

[...]

Test Max Ave Meas Max Ave Meas Max Ave Meas

15 MPH 130 31 61 0.8 0.1 0.05 835 237 1231 25 MPH 105 20 40 0.7 0.1 0 774 199 1585

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gerry

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Canevaro

On 11/21/2004 9:12 PM US(ET), Gerry Canevaro took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Since one of the purposes of a catalytic converter is to reduce nitrous oxide (NO) gases, I would assume that a bad CC could cause a high NO reading.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks willshak for your quick and on-point reply. Prior to going back for a retest, I will get the catalytic converter replaced. Hopefully, that will do it. Also hopefuuly, I will be able to avoid having to go to a "Test Only" station next time (2 years from now) although I suspect not as California seems to be targeting older cars.

Reply to
Gerry Canevaro

Reply to
John Smith