2 Questions about my '97 Altima

I have a 1997 Altima with 115,000 miles (not really a lot). I do my own light maintenance (front brakes, oil and filter changes, spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel and air filters, etc) and keep on top of it in that regard.

First, it seems in the past 3 years to burn through exhausts once per year. I replaced the exhaust system (a $500 repair each time) two years in a row. Why would it do that? I don't take short trips generally (I realize that unburned condensation is the cause of much rust).

Second, very recently it has developed a squeal at idle (around 800 rpm) from under the hood (I can't pin down exactly from where) that goes away with a slight increase in RPMs. As soon as it settles down to idle again, the squeal comes back.

I want to keep this car running for another couple of years but can't really afford to dump a lot of money into it.

Reply to
I am I

For your exhaust problem, where are you getting your exhaust replaced? Make sure they use high quality Stainless Steel parts! Most Midas jobs are just junk. OR make sure they offer the lifetime warranty.

As an aside, extra stress could be applied to your exhaust system if your timing is retarded. It causes alot of extra heat on the pre-catalytic side of the exhaust system.

As for the squeal, is it a squeal or a rattle? These cars are known for timing chain rattle at low RPMs, there is a TSB for it. The solution is to remove the upper timing chain guides. There is one on the top and one on the right side of the upper timing chain assembly. I took them off on my 93 Altima and its like a brand new car.

PLUS while your in there, change the S-belt (about $30) and make sure its tensioned properly, should address any other squeals that are there.

Good luck. t

I am I wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

It's definitely a squeal.

Reply to
I am I

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

I just replaced my idler pulley, it was squeeling until I revved the engine as well. No visible sign until it actually backed off on the hwy.

Reply to
J4bs