93 Maxima GXE pre-purchase questions

Hello,

I saw a 93 Maxima GXE available. I checked Autos.MSN.com, and it seems the engine has "Significant Problems." "Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Engine Control (ECCS) Relay, the Fuel Injectors and the Variable Timing Control (VTC) Intake Camshaft Sprockets (VE30DE engines only), and a periodic problem is failure of the Crank Angle Sensor." Is it worth it? If so, what are the things to look out for?

Thanks.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus

ECCS relay is a 20 dollar part, no big deal

VTC Sprockets , expensive no matter how you cut it, if you don't have the VE30DE then don't worry about it

As far as Crank angle sensors (a.k.a Distributors) I have yet to replace one, just like anything else the will fail at some point in time, nothing lasts forever.

Reply to
NissTech

I have a 93 Maxima GXE. Original owner, 135000 miles. The GXE does not have the variable timing control engine. It's a SOHC. No major problems. It's a good, reliable car. Very good mileage on the highway. No transmission problems. I do all the routine maintenance as required.

Minor problems: be sure all the windows work. I've had to replace 3 regulators, Boze tape player, speakers.

The key to find a good used car is be sure that all the maintenance has been done.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Richard L

What is the mileage? How much do they want for the car? What is the condition? These are questions that need to be answered before a "is it worth it" question can be answered. This car does have a timing belt, belt being the key word, it is supposed to be changed every 60K miles. Being that this is an "interference" engine, (meaning that if the belt quits turning the cam then the valves will hit the tops of the pistons...not good!) if the belt fails, you can pretty much trash the engine. Has the belt been changed at the correct intervals? If not then the first thing you need to do is have the belt changed, and because of the construction of the engine, it is advisable to change the waterpump while this is being done, it's about a 600 dollar job at the Nissan dealership. (at least that is what I paid when I had it done on one of my Maximas, several years ago.......I do not have that car anymore...wish I did, I like that body style) Hope this helps,

2Maximas (by the way, what color is the car, I have been looking for a red one of this vintage)

Reply to
bitsbucket

GXE doesn't have the VTC problem. That's only on the '92-94 SE (DOHC engine).

BTW, how many miles on the GXE you're looking at? My '91 SE (same engine) has almost 164,000 miles and runs perfectly. I expect well over 200K before it's done.

Bill G

Reply to
Bill G

I've got a Red '91 SE. I can't afford a new car payment, so I'll gladly sell it to you for, say $10,000 over Blue book? It runs perfectly, new tranny at 96K, t-belt/water pump on a regular basis, new injectors.

It needs a new A/C compressor, only 1 speaker works, the tape deck doesn't work, I need a window reg unit, and the driver's window only goes down when it feels like it. On the plus side, the window does always go up.

With only a few scratches and dents, plus a left headlight that is slightly pushed in (thank you, Honda Accord bumper). I've considered doing the BMW headlight swap-out. I feel that Blue + 10K is a sweet deal.

;-)~

Good luck on your search.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

164K miles