97 maxima or compatible radiator drain plug?

Let me know if you have information on the above. The dealer says that it's not a stock item, so you'll need to purchase a new radiator (B.S. $500.00).

The drain plug screw got warped (plastic) & I can open it. I guess I must have used too much force, because it nows springs a minor leak from the middle of the drain plug. I see no problem draining the antifreeze via the lower water hose, but I won't waste my time if there's no replacement. I can always clog the leak area to keep it dry enough for the rubber cement to cure & weld the thing shut.

Any suggestions? thx.

Reply to
W. Wallace

Amazing when you talk to different Dealer shops, probably just a more knowledgable rep. I was told this time around that the part is available but needs to be special ordered from their warehouse. WTF... Since I already picked up a used '94 maxima radiator drain plug from the Junkyard, I'm going to try it out. A Sales Rep from an auto parts website told me that between

1994 & 1999, the maxima shares the same drain plug.

*keeping fingers crossed*

Reply to
W. Wallace

Maybe he just didn't want to screw with a $6.00 (?) special order that day. I'd take my business elsewhere.

Once, I accidentally dumped my drain plug along with used coolant between two 6 foot high fences that had 2 feet of space between them. Despite the tight fit, I had to go over and down in between on a stepladder, and scrounge around for about 10 minutes in semi-darkness to find it. At least I didn't have a goofy damn dealer tell me I had lost a quarter-ounce of plastic worth $500.00.

JM

Reply to
JM

You might check the local pep boys or AutoZone. They usually have a pretty good selection of radiator drain plugs.

Reply to
E. Meyer