Max SE 2k - Buzzing sound upon accelleration

Hi all

I have been experiencing a metallic buzzy sound when I hit the accellerator, mostly within the 1800-2200 RPM range.

Finally took the car to a shop and they diagnosed it as a loose/rusty heat shield. They removed these and indeed the buzzing is gone.

However, I am just wondering if I am asking for any kind of trouble with the shields removed.

Harold

Reply to
hlemel

- shields works as sound/heat/splash insulator, extends piping lifetime

- parking on dry grass; might cause fire more easily?

- does it really matter much, dunno. I like to keep them, even have added some beside pass rear wheel, muffler.

- strategically placed metallic tiewraps will take the resonances off

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks for the feedback

Called some dealers here in town --- in something of a panic --- and they told me that they remove the shields when they start rusting and buzzing.

One said - "No problem unless you live in the desert." Wisconsin is no desert

Wiik> - shields works as sound/heat/splash insulator, extends piping lifetime

beside pass rear wheel, muffler.

Reply to
hlemel

Sorry didnt meant as a reason to panic; most cars dont have such shields. Parking on high, touching, dry grass is just one nuance in life that driver should be check even in Alaska [when dry], with or w/o shields... Why I added some in the rear was b/c I want to squeeze my ol lemon (one rusty spot at rear ruins whole pipe). Really waiting for algore globbal warmuppet here in scandinavia - to get some warm dry grass...

If we only knew how sloppy small thin bolts keep planes up and from droppin on us, we wouldnt be able to sleep, so be/drive happy while ensuring 'eternity ticket'.

Reply to
Wiikinki

You'll have no problems without the heatshield, unless as already mentioned, you wait for fall, and park on a pile of dry leaves :)

My heatshield (off the catalytic converter's underside) fell off 5 yrs ago and the dealer is the one that just ripped it off. It's a poor design where the brackets are welded to the catalytic converter, so you can't replace it without replacing the entire catalytic converter.

Not worry - just enjoy the buzz-free drive :)

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 134k

some beside pass rear wheel, muffler.

Reply to
njmodi

Thanks all for the reassurance.

I really am enjoying a buzz-free ride --- until the mosquitoes come out in force here.