206 CC headlight problem

Pug 206 CC

Friend's daughter has just bought a 2001 model. There was a problem with the headlights - they seem to have been replaced with a different model, the wires had been cut and rejoined (badly).

Reconnected the wires colour for colour (which they were), headlights now work, but I'm not convinced all is well.

Each unit contains four bulbs:

From outside to inside:

Side light Headlight 1 - 70 watt H7 with a 'nosecap' Headlight 2 - 55 watt H7 unshrouded Indicator

Dipped beam drives the 70 watts, main beam then adds the 55 watt.

Is this correct?

Couldn't find anything on the www.

TIA

Graham

Reply to
Graham C

Not at all!

Reply to
Gee Whizz

Thanks guys, but what is wrong ?

Are the bulbs in the wrong positions in the headlamp unit, or perhaps they are in the correct holes, but the connectors need reversing ?

Graham

Reply to
Graham C

Very difficult to diagnose at a distance but if someone has been messing with the wiring it's odds on they have got it wrong. Colours don't always match up each end. You need to see which wires have power for a given situation (i.e. headlights on) and work it out from there.

The dipped and heads do NOT come on together.

Reply to
Twice a day

Just been to a main dealer and tried one and they do come on together on main beam.

That's not what I expected.

G,

Reply to
Graham C

Ooooooooooer! Nor me, Mine don't! What a waste of power.

Reply to
Blossom

I wouldn't expect both main and high beam to turn on together at any given point. Main driving lights should be H7 65W and high beam should H1 55W. That's what I thought anyway. They may have had an after market Xenon HID lighting kit installed into that car previously. You wouldn't normally need to butcher the wiring to install these kits, but anything is possible. Nothing surprises me here...hehehe Dan.

Reply to
tricky4000

My 2003 (mux) 206cc had two 55W H7's I recall both did come on the same time on full beam either flash or when locked on. The standard bulbs were pretty poor, I changed all four over for Philips Powervision which made a huge difference.

DaveP

207CC is the same, with conventional H1/H7 bulbs, whether flash or locked on full beam you get the dipped and full beam on together. I recall on my 1998 Vectra, if you flashed the lights the mains came on as well as the dipped, if you pushed the stalk forward to lock the full beam on, the dipped ones went out and the main beam alone came on. D
Reply to
DaveP