206 GTi 2001 - Air Con/Climate Control screeching!

Guys

Anyone had this before. I've purchased a 2001 206 GTi as my first car (at the ripe of old age of 26!!) and after a couple of months of use I am getting a screeching instead of air flow when using climate control.

If i whack up the fan speed to high it blows out air...on lower speeds it simply screeches, and occasionally pushes air through.

Could it be blocked? IS there something routine I am missing?

Reply to
Wiggz

Sounds as if the bearing or/and the brushes in the blower motor are on the way out. Many years ago I had a 205 GTI which would screech on low setting but was fine on setting 2 or 3 . I found then, that if I hit the blower under the dash the noise would stop. As a guess I would say that the motor comes as a complete unit and will need to be replaced. I'm sure someone will have more details for you on here soon.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

the bearing or/and the brushes in the blower motor are on the

Right - took into be services (granted; not by Pug garage) and they said it looks like a fan. (Sounds like the fan motor) Apparently, replacing this is not cost effective.

The thing I can't get my head around is the fact that if I put it on full blast the air flows without any problem, as it would normally on that setting. It only screechs on lower settings...as though the fan is struggling.

Anyone else with any suggestions?

Reply to
Wiggz

it does this because its like a finger on a wet glass lip, at a certain speed you get the squeal, same with the bearings in the motor, at a certain speed they will allow the motor shaft to wobble from side to side . At full speed you get a sort of gyroscopic effect which causes the motor shaft to spin in the centre of the bears without moving from side to side so the noise stops. If you can get to it, try it on low speed and punch it. see if that gets rid of the squeal for a few seconds. It may well be worth trying to get a replacement fan from a scrap yard, if you can fit it yourself. The rev gauge on my partner van was packed up and Peugeot quoted me almost £400 to fix it. I managed to pick up a complete dash instrument panel from a breakers yard for £45 including post, took about 5 minutes to fix. So give it a go.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

as if the bearing or/and the brushes in the blower motor are on the

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Guys

Thanks for your input. I should have added that I know next to nothing about Cars in technical terms. The fitting myself is almost certainly beyond me currently. I was expecting this sort of thing to be covered in a service but it wasn't touched, despite me asking.

I might give a Pug dealer a ring and ask the question.

Reply to
Wiggz