405-Mi16 Idle at High Speed

I have a 1989 405-Mi16 which tends to idle at high speed (2200-2500 RPM) when stopping at traffic lights or else. Reading some of the postings on this, one suggestion was to clean the idel control valve which my mechanic just did, but that didn't seem to help. Do you think replacing the idel control valve would help ? Or could there be other causes. Thank you much.

- YAS

Reply to
YAS

Hi,

Other cause could be and air intake, so also check hoses for a loose ring, crack or similar.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Sorry, I can't help you but we, here in the UK, were all under the impression that no-one in the US drives a car over 5 years old.

Are we right (and your 405 is a 'fun' car) or are we wrong?

Many thanks

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Really? I wasn't aware that I held that view - thanks for the info. From my visits to the states, it appeared that the majority of cars were rattly clapped out wrecks. Admittedly, a couple of the hire cars I've had have been pretty rattly and clapped out after 6000 miles, so you may be right.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Much would rather drive a used Peugeot than new American which are cheap clapped out wrecks fresh out of the factory. (ie, junk which needs replacement every five years).

Reply to
YAS

Hello,

I'm not surprised. The PT Cruiser convertible & the Crossfire have just been released here, in France. They've got an average look to me (not that bad, but not that good*), but crappy build quality. Technically, most parts come from older Mercs (chassis for Xfire, engines). I don't think it will last long. Pugs may seem coming with poor quality (I don't agree) *but* it lasts

15+ years with no problem.

  • Just for fun ! First time my parents have seen the PT Cruiser (sedan at that time) on the telly, they said "oh, it looks like a refreshed Pug 403 estate". Surprisingly it was the point of many ppl I know. Oh, my mum found that PT Cruiser quite fun, but I guess she never considered owning one - she sticked to her '88 405.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T