Need help diagnosing Smog - High HC @ idle only

I just picked up a nice, really clean 1992 Honda Accord wagon for $400.00. It has been well-maintained, and has 224,000 miles (long commute).

Here are the readings from the previous smog check on 05/31/05, when it easily passed:

(Odometer 199,770)

RPM %C02 %02 HC (PPM) CO (%)

717 14.8 0.7 16 0.01

2695 15.2 0.0 15 0.13

As you can see, it was running pretty clean for such a high-milage car.

When it was taken for smog check on 3/17/07, it failed HC at idle:

(Odometer 223,879) RPM %C02 %02 HC (PPM) CO (%)

699 8.2 9.4 131 (max 120) 0.40

2480 14.2 1.1 16 0.09

I also noticed that the CO (at idle) was much higher than before, but still well-within the max of 1.0 percent. I spent several hours reading archived posts from this newsgroup, and have found a lot of great info. This one has me stumped, though. What could cause higher HC at idle only, and also elevated CO readings (again at idle only)? Also, note the differences in CO2 and 02 readings.

Looking at the repair records, I'm pretty sure this car is running the original oxygen sensor and cat. I will probably replace the sensor as a matter of course, but as money is a bit tight at the moment, would rather avoid replacing the cat if possible - at least right away.

Engine runs great with no missing, plug wires and spark plugs are fairly new, cap and rotor are 2 years old and have 27k, so I will replace those. I didn't see that the EGR valve was ever serviced/cleaned, so will do it. Oil was changed 1000 miles ago, but car has been mostly sitting for 7 months (probably should change, eh?)

Obviously I would like to get the HC and CO back down to normal. Still, I'm curious if simply replacing cap and rotor and changing the oil might get the HC from 131 PPM to the allowable max of 120 at idle.

Also, I like the idea (gleaned here) of running the car at 2000 RPM for two minutes right before test to heat up the cat (having it "lit up").

Any help or info is always much appreciated!

Pigeon

Reply to
Pigeon Hohl

A dirty air filter can cause that, especially if there are any oil spits (blowby) in there. Then it reads raw HC's which blows it up fast from what I have seen. I got one Jeep that read worse than yours to pass by just changing the air filter and cleaning the air tube from the filter to the throttle body to get the oil spits out. I did do an oil change before taking it in though. I also fixed the plugged CCV that caused the spits, but some blowby is to be expected on an old engine.

Things like the EGR are for high speed, not idle.

Mike

Mike Romain

you might want to make sure the valves are adjusted to the correct spec.With that many miles, if it was never done it is way past due.

Reply to
jfrancis311

I was thinking about that. None of the repair records from the 2nd owner­­going back to '99­­show that the valves were ever adjusted, which is strange, because the other usual stuff was done regularly. I will do it for sure.

Reply to
Pigeon Hohl

Honda has adjustable valves?????

Aren't they overhead cam engines?

Could be wrong, but...

So was there any oil in the air filter?

Mike

Mike Romain

Honda has had adjustable valves for as long as I can remember. It is critical for the valves to be right on a Honda or you will start to see problems like this.

Reply to
jfrancis311

Sorry for the delay...

I checked the oil filter, and it looks really clean, and there's no sign of oil being sucked in. When it stops raining, I will check the 02 sensor to see if it is going into closed-loop, reacting normally to lean and rich conditions. Any other ideas for the high HC and CO?

Pigeon

Reply to
Pigeon Hohl