406 Hdi. Electric motor running?

At first I thought the cooling fan was running but not so.The noise seems to come from back/side of the engine near the alternator, the noise will stop after several minutes or by switching off the engine and re-starting. I've only been aware of the noise five times in the last 12,ooo miles when driving in town traffic, but it could be happening at faster speeds when the overall noise level is higher. The car is four years old and has AC and done 96,500 miles.

Reply to
nodrog

Julian Croucher

re-starting.

Get a long screwdriver, stick the handle against your ear. and the blade onto the alternator, you will hear if it sounds rough. Then try the blade against other parts in that area and see which one sounds worst. Does this only happen at low revs? It sounds to me as if it might be the auxiliary belt tensioner. They do rattle a bit at about 1200rpm. When I complained to the dealer when mine was under warranty, I was told it was not unusual for this model. Indeed, the engine has now done a further 50,000 miles, and it still sounds the same.

Reply to
brian