406 instrument panel

I have a 406 2.0 SV 97-mod. On the left side og the instrument panel is a gauge with a needle and a scale with 'OFF', 'MIN' and 'MAX'. The needle is constantly on 'OFF'.

I would think it is a oil pressure gauge, and that it is not working properly. The car dealer tells me it measures oil temperature, and that it is normal for it to stay on 'OFF'.

Anybody knowing what the purpose of this instrument is, and how it normally "behaves" during driving?

_BA_

Reply to
BA

It's your engine oil level indicator. It comes on initially when you switch the ignition on and stays on for between 10 - 20 secs, after which it turns itself off (not much point having it on once the oil is circulating aroung the engine, as the reading would be false)

It's like the instrument panel equivalent of a dipstick I guess.

Andy :)

Reply to
Ognat

I have a 406 coupé with the same instrument; its purpose is to show oil temperature with a range depending of the engine model (Gazoline or diesel); say its typical value is around 95 °Celsius. "BA" a écrit dans le message de news:H08yb.2223$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.e.nsc.no...

Reply to
alain.tchorny

Sounds like the oil level gauge. It registers after you turn on the ignition but before you turn to start. Takes a few seconds to register and it is only a transitory registration. I had to get the dealer to demonstrate it. A singularly useless feature - except I have used it when I have some reason to wonder abpout the oil level. Easier than lifting the bonnet etc. An even more useless feature is the display showing your auto setting. Why show it in the instrument display when it is self-evident on the floor of the vehicle?

Reply to
ken kerrison

"> An even more useless feature is the display showing your auto setting.

That's there just amuse the passengers, it is French anyway.

Reply to
John Hollinshead