605

anyone got some good ideas on what to look out for on a second hand 605?

secondly what sorta MPG would an auto do ?

Reply to
Annteak

An auto what? - V6, 2.5TD ???

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Hi A

In addition to the regular checks, you should check that the automatic transmission has been properly maintained. Changing the filter is a minor job, and as you can only replace 2 of the 9 liters of fluid at a time, that should be done regularly. I do mine when changing the engine oil and filter. I get about 12,5 liters/100 km on average - auto and a V6. Long distance as little as 9l/100km, but where I live we do have a 90km/h speed limit ... The 605 is severely underrated, and therefore you can get a very good car at a very low price. Good luck

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

the V6 sorry

Reply to
Annteak

Realy shit gas mileage, and something to bear in mind, there is no service information generaly available in English. The auto box seems a trouble spot and costs more to repair than most of the cars are worth now. (I gave a 92 V6 away to the scrapyard last year for want of a gearbox.)

Course if you're in France the situation is probably altogether better, but over here (UK) if you're after a real cheap motor I'd recommend sticking with a 405.

Reply to
jim.

Reply to
Annteak

Now, lets keep the record straight: The 605 has a german transmission, the ZF 4HP18. This is a nice and well built transmission, and was also used in Citroen, Renault, and Saab. Volvo has also used the 4HP14 in some of their FWDs. All automatic transmissions are "trouble spots" IF they are not properly maintained. I have had the pleasure of getting a '91 605 for spares. The transmission was ruined - no maintenance in 272000 kms! I wonder: How long will they last with proper maintenance? So - don't blame the machinery unless you can actually verify that maintenance was OK

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

"Ívar Pétur Guðnason" TOP POSTED in message news:cok3n4$cp9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.simnet.is...

Ok IPG, not trying to bend the record, only speaking from my own experience. I would suggest though that at more than ten years of age it's going to be difficult to know just how much service attention any gearbox has received. Also that a working gearbox tends to get less attention than the engine. Also at that age 405s are far more plentyful in scrapyards and almost given away on Ebay due to the fact that they outnumber 605s at least 10:1 in this country.

Reply to
jim.