Anybody there?

Is it me or is there no-one actually posting to this group? I have had no new postings since June 29th. And I have checked on Google Groups too and that is the same. Where is everybody???

Reply to
Nigel

I'm here.

Reply to
Zoab

I am still here Nigel, with my 1999 hybrid 406. It's sorry for itself at the moment as a Czech lorry changed lanes on a roundabout on Thursday and hooked onto my nearside wing dragging the car cross onto the central island. I am now worried in case repairs exceed value and the car gets written off. I don't think there is any structural damage, it appears to be straight replacement of the entire front valance (the plastic section that wraps right around the front and includes the grill), the nearside wing and the nearside headlight although it is only the glass that is damaged but I don't suppose it is available separately. There are no fog lights or anything to complicate it and the car still drives fine after the lorry driver and a policeman scrabbled around on their hands and knees strapping it all back together with cable ties.

Any rough ideas on cost?

Cheers,

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi Keith.

Knowing insurance company's they will more than likely want to write it off and offer you £2.50. I wrote off a Toyota a couple of years back, I spent months arguing with them. In the end I told them that I didn't want any money, I wanted another Toyota to replace what I had lost, as I understood that insurance was there to replace what you had lost, you can imagine their reply, however we did agree on a value in the end, mainly because they realised I was prepared to fight till the end only because I had bought my present Pug, but I did get a reasonable price in the end. If as you say your car is not too badly damaged, they normally let you buy it off them, that being the case, it could well pay you to buy it and trundle round the scrap yards and put the bits on yourself. I think the reason they let you buy it back is because they have to pay a disposal firm to remove it, and that is not cheap now a days. My Toyota was left on my drive for 3 weeks, so I sent them a storage bill, it was removed the following day. Hope you have some luck.

Bryan ( Winchester )

Reply to
Zoab

I'm not here. If you read this then you should consider psychotherapy.

Reply to
Malc

I already considered that and lost my marbles!

Reply to
Nigel

I agree. The headlight alone from Pug is over £100. I don't know about the panels but they are all bolt on so if you can find a similar colour scrap vehicle that would be the cheapest option. That is of course if you can get it back from the insurance company.

Reply to
Nigel

e quoted text -

I'm still here. Sorry to hear about your wheels Keith. Dan.

Reply to
tricky4000

Bryan is right about being returned to the position you were in prior to the accident. You can use parts from a scap dealer to reduce the cost if it helps, but if they place an unrealistic value on your car then threaten (and use, if required) the insurance ombudsman. A former neighbour had his car written off when it had a broken sidelight and a dented wing. It may have been 20 years old but it had 10 months MoT and it started first time, so it was worth much more than the £50 they offered. The ombudsman took the insurers to taks and he ended up with a repaired car, the £50 cheque they'd sent and a written apology...

HTH

Alan

Reply to
Alan Smithee

Sounds interesting. The car is currently at the body shop and I am waiting for a verdict. I have found that I could source the three main components needed for the repair (bumper, wing and headlight) new from Euro Car Parts for just over £200 and the Parker's price guide values the car at £1700 so, depending on their labour and spraying costs, I could be OK. Watch this space.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

What what? Or should that be "Which what?". ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

The Hybrid rides again. Came back today from the body shop and has risen phoenix like from the ashes. I'm a happy bunny again.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks