Headlamp beam conversion from RH drive for use abroad

Hi

I have a right hand drive UK version Peugeot 407 with xenon lights & will be going to France in October.

I read that high-intensity discharge (HID) or xenon headlights cannot be adapted by applying an external mask.

What's the solution? Can these be adjusted manually?

Reply to
No Spam

I thought I read somewhere that modern headlights do not dip to left or right but centrally and, therefore, no conversion is required. Someone more knowledgeable might like to confirm whether this is true.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

In message , Keith Willcocks wrote

I tend to agree. I do a lot of driving in Europe and have never bothered masking the headlamps. The proof of the pudding is in the dazzling. I figure that if no oncoming drivers flash me at night my lights can't be dazzling them. I'd recommend not bothering.

Reply to
Derek Tree

"No Spam" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

When we first came to Brittain, long time ago, it was very easy. I just had to tape the "triangular" part of the glass on the headlights of my Renault 5 LS. Because they gave an assymetric beam (rightside up) My P 307 still has this assymetric beam, but the glass (plastic) is clear now, so I wouldn't know how to do that either.

I know nothing about XE lights (and I'm not from Barcelona, but from Antwerp ;-)

At least you can lower your lights now, just by turning a knob on your dashboard, maybe that's enough. It won't give you optimal sight but you won't offend other drivers.

I'm very interested to hear the right answer too :-)

Grtz, Eric B.

Reply to
pastis

In message, pastis wrote

I don't think there is a 'right answer.'

The AA have this to say on their website:

"If you're driving to the Continent then you must adjust the headlamp beam pattern to suit driving on the right so that the dipped beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers.

Never go without adjusting the headlamp pattern as it is a compulsory requirement in most countries.

Modern high-intensity discharge (HID) or xenon headlights can't be adapted by applying an external mask. Fortunately, many feature an internal 'shutter' that can be moved into place by a screw or lever adjustment at the back of the headlamp unit. But some designs are less convenient and the dealer will need to make the adjustment.

Modern halogen-type headlamps Some of these now require external masks of such complex design that motorists struggle to follow the instructions and work out exactly how and where the mask should be applied.

Check with the dealer or the car's handbook for advice ? especially if your car has HID or XENON headlamps."

As I pointed out in my first post upthread, AFAIK, the only 'legal' requirement seems to be that "...the dipped beam must not dazzle oncoming drivers."

How one accomplishes that depends on vehicle and/or headlamp type. In my

406 V6 the headlamp beam is adjustable from inside the car. All I do in Europe is turn the dipped beam down a tad. As the beam is not particularly assymmetric (like older cars) it doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers. Job done.

I'm sure 'No Spams' 407 is even easier to set-up than my 406. I don't see a problem. Trust me, the Gendamerie have more interesting things to do at night than pull over Brits to check their cars headlamp beam!

Reply to
D. Tree Esq

Trust me, the Gendamerie have more interesting things to

I agree. When was the last time you say a 'foreign' car with beam adjusters on their headlights. Once in 10 years of looking is my 'record'!!! DaveAS

Reply to
David A Smith

A few years back they used to wait at ferry terminals giving out fixed penalties to those who hadn't made the effort. Last couple times I've gone Eurotunnel, they'd have trouble there!

I would also like an answer for my 207cc. My old Vectra had clearly defined areas on the glass which you covered with tape but it seems the newer cars have the beam patterns done by the reflectors instead.

Since the dipped points down anyway, I don't see why there was ever a problem - and the 207cc has directional lights which illuminate an additional bulb in a dipped pattern when you turn corners.

DaveP

Indeed! Or at Cherbourg. Destitute, desperate, dissembling Kazahkstanis and other assorted ne-er-do-wells seeking a fast-track ticket to Social Security Easy Street tend to keep Monsieur Plod busy these days...

My 406 has, but its a 2002 model, so hardly new. I assume all current models have such reflectors.

I think it's a historical problem. Pre about 1990 UK cars had a much harsher asymmetric dip pattern which **could** cause problems when driving abroad.

Reply to
D. Tree Esq

They always dipped down and left which tended to make it difficult for other drivers when you were driving on the right. Of course when I had my first car it was a lot harder than just putting patches on the glass because on that car, 1936 Austin 10 Cambridge, the dip was achieved by the nearside headlight turning off and the offside having its reflector physically tilted by a solenoid to point down and left.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Bloody hell Keith you must be old.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

If it did that, Keith, the previous owner had swapped the lights over. Standard arrangement was O/S off, N/S deflected towards the kerb. It was a good idea to make sure the O/S sidelight was working properly.

And if anyone thinks that was bad, they should try groping their way about with war-time black-out shields on the lamps...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:fd1094$qmh$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

Quite right, it was the other way around. Best car I had headlight wise was my little "sit up and beg" 1954 Ford Popular. If it was foggy (and remember in those days it was smog, not fog) I twisted the left hand headlight to shine across on the white lines and the right hand one across to light up the kerb. made the car look cross eyed but it worked a treat. Can't do anything like that these days, but then modern drivers have never experienced smog.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I have and it was very thick.

Reply to
Chrs

You'll know what I mean then. Around 1960, after I left school, I had a

125cc BSA Bantam and on a couple of occasions, sitting on the bike, you could not see the road below you, the smog was so thick. Rode the bike home from work in first gear dragging my left foot along in the gutter to feel the kerb.
Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I was very lucky, i walked or got public transport,took about 1hr to get about 2 miles by public transport.(dont think it has changed nowdays.)

Reply to
Chrs

The answer from Citroen UK for the same question about my C5 lights is that the beam pattern from xenon lights negates the need to apply any beam deflectors as the light cuts off at a lower height to the left. (Try facing a vertical wall with the lights illuminated and see for yourself) We drove in France in the dark at the beginning of September and none of the oncoming drivers flashed to indicate they were being dazzled

Reply to
String bag

Easy way, as stated is to shine the dipped headlights onto a wall and look at the pattern. If it has a flat top, you don't have to do anything, if it kicks up on the left side, you shoulf do something. Your main Pug dealer should be able to advise. On my non-HID 307, I bought a pair of headlight protectors, which come with markings printed on them, and bits of black sticky-back plastic (do you remember Blue Peter). I keep the protectors in the shed and put them on (complete with masks) every time I go across the channel.

Reply to
Brian

Your letting yourself down. I visualised you as quite young but with memories like that.....

You'll tell me next that you watched "Whirligig" and "The SS Saturday Special" as a kid (I did). ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

NO, dont know them ahahaha

Reply to
Chrs

Thanks for all the replies to this.

Peugeot tell me that there is no provision for RHD beams to be adjusted to LHD by the owner.

I can tell you that Peugeot do sell a "universal beam converter kit - suitable for xenon headlamps". Part no VAL284. I've ordered one.

I just hope that it isn't only a piece of sticky tape to block off the beam!

Reply to
No Spam