1998 406 1.9 TD poor starting

Gents I am having starting problems first thing in the morning after the car has not been used for several days. I have to crank it for some time and turn it off and on to get it to start.(once or twice) I have tried re priming the system and this often will resolve the problem but not always. No big clouds of smoke when it starts I have replaced the fuel filter which was not very dirty and drained the filter for any water or dirty fuel. All was clean.

Is there a filter in the lift pump in the fuel tank ?. I have not been able to identify the electronic shutoff valve on the pump. Any ideas where this is? . Otherwise the car runs OK with no problems when the engine is running. Glow plugs were replaced last year 10K ago. Vehicle has only done 84K and been regularly serviced according to manufactures schedules and all filters changed and cam belt. Mike

Reply to
Michael Roche

That sounds like the pump is letting the fuel back down the pipe and back to the tank,and you turning it over for a long time pulls the fuel up.try and get the pump looked at.

Reply to
Chrs

there is a fuel filter in the fuel tank but for most things can be ignored. It sound if you have an air in fuel problem. If you have bosch fuel pump and you probably do change the black injector leak off pipes. These do crack and let air in and cause the problems you discribe. Change all of them and see if you still have starting issues.

If that doesnt fix it then look at the fuel filter check that it is in place properly and sealing ok. some filters dont seal as well as other. If that doesnt fix it check all the joints in fuel pipe are tight from the injectors to the fuel tank. After that its either the fuel primer or the o ring on the bottom of the fuel filter that needs changeing as it can go.

HOpe that helps you find it.

Reply to
caveman_si

"caveman_si" Thanks for the suggestions I assume you mean the bleed off pipes from the injectors in the engine bay. When I changed the fuel filter last week I only remember an O ring on the top of the new filter, but not one at the bottom. I put some diesel magic injector cleaner in the last lot of fuel and besides improving acceleration, starting also seems to have improved. This has been an intermittent problem which I think may possibly be temperature (outside) related as it first occurred when it was very hot outside. I will have a good check for air leaks on the pipes. What is the best way to do this ? Mike

Reply to
Michael Roche

yup the bleed off pipes from the injectors. Just look at them for cracks etc have a little move about of them. They are dirt cheap from a parts shop so worth changing every now and again anyway. The bottom o ring on the fuel filter is under the fuel filter housing. Between the black filterhouseing and the thermostat that is underneath it. But it does let air in to the fuel if it goes. You have to undo the bolt that is inside the fuel filter houseing to get the houseing off. AS for checking the rest of the pipes just check the connections are good and tight and ther eare no crack in where you can see.

Reply to
caveman_si

Do you have a clear plastic feed pipe from the filter to the pump? If so, when it is running, look for air bubbles in that. I had a problem with a filter housing on one of these. At the back of the housing, bottom left as you look at it from the front, there was a blanking plug. This was allowing air to get sucked in. Replaced the filter housing, and all was good.

Reply to
Brian