Help 406 fuel flap (was - HELP 309 help urgent please)

On my 406 the cable's OK, but there's a spring failed or something in

> the flap, so you have to prop the lever up with a key and push the flap > by hand.

This must be a common one, mine's the same. I carry around a little wooden wedge to hold the lever up. Is there any known cure for that busted spring problem? How on earth do you get the flap off to replace it ? My understanding is that they don't supply them in colours you have to spray em up yourself :-( Anyone done this one? (I've tried glueing it up with every kind of glue)

jim.

Reply to
djimbo

I'm thinking a torsion spring in the hinge might work - but the plastic latch to hold it open takes some force.

The key (non-zapper) seems to hold the lever up quite well.

I'll post here if I come up with something better.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Mine has gone the same. I have been told they are =A330 new and you have got to spray them. I am using the wooden wedge method but I would like to know if anybody has an idea to repair it.

djimbo wrote:

Reply to
campag_kid

The bit that opens the flap is part of the hinge and is just a piece of plastic that goes up against the bodywork at the hinge and bends slightly. Then when the release is pulled it "unbends" and opens the flap. It breaks if you close the flap too hard. To fix it you need a new flap, and it comes unpainted. However I have got round this. Gently tap the long hinge pin upward about an inch so that the smaller diameter parts of the pin are in-line with the two parts of the hinge. (you'll see what I mean when you do it!) You'll see a bit of plastic protruding from the flap just above the pin, which prevents the pin from working its way upward by itself. Then pull the flap off the pin. With a sharp knife cut around the join of the painted bit to the rest of the flap until the two parts come apart. Do the same with the new flap. Clean up where the two parts meet and super glue the painted bit to the new flap part carefully so that no glue gets on the painted bit. Put a weight (book?) on it and leave for 30 mins or so. Then push it back on the pin and tap the pin down so that it is under the protruding bit of plastic. All should now work!

Reply to
nigel