Smokey 205

One of my 205xs' has started smoking horrendously (burning oil), wondering if the following points to one thing in particular causing it:

Smoke under hard acceleration at any speed, but especially bad at low revs/pulling away, and when the engine is hot; Engine has lost some of its 'oomph' when the throttle is wide open; I did a compression test and got readings on all cylinders of about

175psi (12 bar) building up during 4-5 compression strokes.

I originally thought it was the valve stem seals because it only smoked when you first started it when it had been standing overnight, but since its started doing it all the time I'm not so sure and am starting to suspect worn piston rings. Any thoughts gladly recieved!

Cheers Andy

Reply to
Andy J

Is it blue smoke that is coming out of the exhaust?

Those compression figures seem fine especially as it sounds like they are consistent across the cylinders.

Have you tried taking further compression readings after pouring a teaspoon of oil down each bore? If the pressure increases then this could indicate worn or gummed rings, maybe worn bores. Some people have suggested to me before that you can pour a reasonable quantity of Redex down each bore and soak overnight to help unstick the rings, although I've never had any success with this. This might be worth a try if your compression readings do increase with the above test.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Howarth

Cheers chris, I'll have a look and see if the oil trick makes a difference to the readings.

It is blue smoke and the oil level had dropped considerably from when I changed the oil a month or so ago, the coolant hasn't changed so I'm discounting it being steam.

Cheers Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

If you are smoking and burning oil, but your bores seem O.K., you may have a blocked breather which is causing high crank case pressure which is blowing oil up through the bores.

Had this problem on a Volvo which has an oil breather into the air cleaner box. It started blowing oily smoke as if the engine or turbo had gone. Cleaning the clogged filter at the end of the oil breather magically put all back to normal :-)

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts