206 clutch problem

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me. I have a 22 month old 206 Xsi with just over 16000 miles, the majority of which has been A road/ motorway driving.

The clutch biting point has always been high, noticable after driving other vehicles with a more 'normal' biting position.

Just had the car serviced and asked for the clutch to be adjusted, and was told this wasn't possible. They commented that the biting point was high and kinda suggested it was my driving style.

For the record, my background is in mechanical engineering and I used to work at Ford, at one point on clutch systems, so I am more than aware of potential clutch issues and look after it well, in addition I'm into the old advanced driving thing and can safely say I never ride the clutch, ever.

So, anyone got any ideas as to known issues etc ... ???

I'm a bit catch 22 - the warranty says that the clutch is covered, allowing for mileage and driving style - this seems to give Peugeot a get out clause as they could claim every failed clutch is due to bad driving!

It's fair to say that the clutch is not, and has not ever slipped - but due to the fact that the cluch appears to be fully engauged near the top of the pedal travel this can be only a matter of time as normal wear occurs. Problem is, Pug have said that if they take it apart and find nothing wrong then it's chargeable (about £400). Unfortunately, just cos they may not find the problem doesn't mean it's not there as these issues can be very hard to find (the car, and my previous one has been in many times with issues they say don't exsist only for them to have to admit that they did, this time however they have the 'you caused it yourself' excuse).

My own opinion is that a clutch should last >70000 miles if traeted well (one of my previous cars did), and even in a car that is not driven that well it should last 25000 + (on average), 16000 is just plain mad ...

There may be other issues for a high bite point (wrong clutch fitted could be one, or high spots on the flyweel or pressure plate that have caused excessive wear another).

Any ideas, thoughts ???

Thanks,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

sounds like a crap dealer use a different one

Reply to
Mindwipe

I've had three Peugeots and in all three cases, as the car has got older (and hence the clutch has worn) you have to press the pedal further down for the clutch to disengage. A friend of mine who is a mechanic for Citroen told me that you know it's time to replace a clutch when you have to press the pedal right to the floor to disengage it. This also goes along with my Mum's VW as she always went through clutches quickly. New clutch = high biting point. Worn clutch = low biting point.

I think you just have it backwards...?

Adam

Reply to
Adam Greatrix