1990 Grand Am 2.5 Lost Power and Acceleration

Computer codes are o2 sensor lean mixture and EGR system fault. Have replaced O2 sensor and EGR valve as well as plugs and wires to no avail. Also replaced a couple of worn vacuum lines. The car will eventually reach speed but bogs during acceleration(when I really need it in heavy traffic). Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanx, Ron

Reply to
Lobstaman

I've had a similar probl. Check all vac lines. Also check the iac control valve. Could also be a leaky intake manifold gasket. Running lean means too much air or not enough fuel. Maybe also injector not working right. It's a real bugger to find. Aside from low power does it hesitate at all? If so another culprit might be worn valves or blown head gasket.

Reply to
Cage

I have not checked the IAC control valve yet and all vacuum seems to be alright. I've replaced almost all except for the 5/32 hard plastic vacuum pipe.Also replaced the MAP and TPC sensors with no luck. Yes, it hesitates as well. The injector looks to be working at a glance in park. Idling and throttling. Thanx for this and any help Cage.

P.S. I had a problem with it over-heating alot earlier this year(bad fan motor).

Reply to
Lobstaman

Have you done a compression check on the cylinders? If it got hot it could have warped the head or burnt a valve causing bad compression. Another thing could be the temperature sensor. It regulates how much gas is being put out of the injector.

Reply to
Cage