Sat in an 05 Mustang Today.

I've never understood why people rest their arm out the window anyway. I got sunburned just resting mine on the door arm rest on a long trip and growing up in the country you learn to keep arms inside as branches/briars will reach out and grab your arms.

Reply to
Eugene

Went around to a few dealers today. At one Ford dealer an 04 Mustang convert & hardtop were unlocked as was an 05 hardtop.

Plenty of headroom in the 04 convertible but my head was hitting the roof in the hardtop. Seat travel was good except for going down. Tried getting in the backseat of the hardtop. Once in I couldn't sit straight up - had to lean over, back window slant kills the headroom. I couldn't unbend my legs, nor flip the seatback back once I got in. Backseat is mainly for kids & dogs.

I didn't sit to long in the 05, got dirty looks from one guy walking around the lot. The base model 05 was parked off the sidewalk with traffic whizzing by 8 feet away. Plus I didn't want the police stopping asking what I'm doing sitting in the car.

Anyway its a bit of an improvement over iterior space of the 04. Plenty of legroom. Seat travels far enough back, the floor must of been lowered or the seat lowers more, I had about three inches above my head to the roof. My head also didn't brush the roof opening getting in & out of the 05 but did on the 04. I run the seat back to where is was good for me.

I'm 5' 11" tall.

Looking in the backseat, the front backrest was about 4 inches from the rear seat cushion. No room for adults. Didn't even attempt to get back there.

You can really sit low in this car. It was a strain on the left arm reaching up to rest it on the windowsill ledge. The console is pretty tall, so your right arm is right there at the center armrest.

With a slight recline to the backrest and from my sitting position I was able to reach all the controls & buttons with my right hand without having to reach forward.

The shift lever blocks the lowest row of buttons when in park. Console storage box was rather smallish, as was the glove box.

I was able to push the rear view mirror up high enough to get it out of my eyeline. Can't do that with GM's OnStar mirror.

Rear outward vision was good, the quarter window cut outs helps. Spoiler lets you know where the end of the car is.

Vision out the front was good, looking out over a flat hood.

Judging by all the hand & fingerprints all over the glass & body, its getting alot of people looking at it.

Another Ford dealer in another town had 3 2005 GT's out Saturday, but brought them inside after they closed. Nothing out there today.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,752 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Thanks Harry. Good critique. Too bad about the 05 high windowsill ledge. Sounds like they have gone "GM". I Guess I won't be getting one now.

Reply to
« Paul »

I like the way Ford has kept the "legacy" styling, especialy with the new '05 model. There is no doubt whatsoever that you are looking at a Mustang...even if you don't see the badge OR the grille emblem. GM could take some lessons from Ford with the GTO and at least add the signature GTO hood scoop

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Take heed, o fans of the GTO. Pontiac has indeed been listening to the lunatic ravings in the newsgroup (or maybe looked at their dismal sales sheets) and made some changes to the GTO2. One of them is a hood scoop (but is it functional?) and added the much rumored LS2. My local dealer has one on order, due to be built in a few weeks. The salesman tried to show me a picture, but alas, it was not to be found.

It will be interesting to me to see which scoop finds its way onto the new hood, though. I've seen aftermarket hoods with '68 style snorkels. I'd prefer the '65-'67 myself. How about a nice '73 shaker?

Reply to
InjunRAIV

Thanks for the good, comprehensive critique. Since GM killed my beloved F-bodies, then Ford came out with the retro Mustang I'm torn. Never been a Blue Oval guy but I may start thinking more seriously about it. My Bird is due for a teardown and I hate trying to use a project car as a daily driver. My Astro van is a good service truck but I drive it so much I really like getting into a car at the end of the day. I like the specs on the GTO but the styling leaves me yawning and even with the promised changes to come I really do dig that "67" looking Mustang.

Reply to
FBR

I have owned three Mustang GT convertibles, 1999, 2001 and I now drive a 2003. I'm 5'10" and I have not found them to be too small for my use. The 2005 is much roomer all around however and tight as a drum. It handles like a dream. I had the chance to drive both the standard 5 speed and the new 5 speed automatic tranny coupes on Pocono raceway several weeks ago. The 2005 3V motor has 40 hp more than the '04 but it feels like another 100 HP and has a great sound. The EPA is 25 MPG, just one less that the 260 HP V8. I have a 2005 GT convertible on order. MSRP is just over

30K with every option but the super sound system, but Ford is not building convertibles until February so I must wait. The 2005 is an awesome vehicle. Especially when you consider the Toyota and Chrysler convertibles cost four to five thousands more and only have V6 engines that are driving the wrong end of the car. The Mustang base V6 MSRP starts UNDER 20K and the GT coupe has an MSRP of only $24,500 too boot. The Mustang should have no trouble at all in spreading its lead over all of its competitors by even greater numbers in 2005 ;)

mike hunt

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

I prefer the 1967 version of the scoop as well. The scoop on the 67 I owned (30+ years ago) was not functional though, from what I remember.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

It sure is tempting. I will have to test drive a GT. Maybe a power seat would go high enough for me to hang an arm or two out the window.

Reply to
« Paul »

You need to go over to LS1GTO.com. There have been pictures of 2005 GTO's since August. There were pictures of test mules in Australia way back earlier this year.

My dealer already had 2005 GTO brochures with pictures back in August.

The scoops look more like '76 Firebird Formula hood scoops. They just force air into the engine compartment.

Reply to
Dennis Smith