1996 Pontiac Transport - Bizarre Electrical Problems !!!

Recently my 96 Transport started exibiting the following symptoms:

  1. When I depress the brake pedal, the doors unlock, when I release the pedal, they relock.

  1. There is a buzzer located in the column behind the power side door near the seat belt attachment. This buzzer is on constantly except when I press the brake pedal, it goes off.

These two problems occur only when the car is running and the transmission is in "drive". If the car is in "park", no problem.

  1. When I turn the engine off, the two courtesy lights on the headliner by the compass / thermometer come on and won't turn off.

I have made the car driveable by:

  1. Turning off the side door with the switch on the ceiling console - this turns off the buzzer but of course the door will not work now.

  1. Pulling the no.1 fuse marked "courtesy" in the glove box. This cuts power to the lights on the headliner console and stops the door locks from cycling when I press the brake pedal but of course I have no interior lights or power door locks now.

All this started at once so the problems are probably related.

I suspect that there might be a bad ground causing these problems ( I have heard that these cars are known for bad ground problems) but I don't know where to begin looking.

It seems interesting that the brake pedal is involved in this.

Does anyone have any idea where I can start?

Thanks !!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You'll never get anywhere without a proper wiring schematic, which means buying a good shop manual. It's possible all of the functions you mention communicate with the BCM, but you need to verify that. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh