2000 Grand Prix Wiper problem,

A recent ice storm caused my passenger side windshield wiper to break. It seems the motor is turning, but where the wiper arm attaches to the
"post", it might have stripped or something. How is the arm attached, and how do I remove / repair it. Is this knurled, or does it have a set screw? What am I looking for?
Thanks
Dave
Your foolishness caused it to break .Wipers frozen to window usually do that. Wiper arms have an tapered spline on the drive spindle just replace it and time the arms .
Sal

Absolutely my "foolishness" caused it to break. My fiance actually said (as we are driving down the road, in the middle of an icestorm, with no scraper, no map, no gloves.. lost in a suburb of Philadelphia late at night). She said, you know, your wiper doesnt seem to be going down all the way. And I said to myself, "Self, it'll be ok until I get to the hotel or until we find a decent place to pull over without getting stuck" Well, I was wrong. It started getting gimpy, and more gimpy. And then it just died.
Where do I get these slines? A parts house like NAPA, or the Dealer?
Dave

You hopefully don't need the new post, you have to buy a new wiper arm. That is probably the part you stripped. If the post is stripped, you will probably need to buy a new wiper assembly - motor, drive arms, posts, etc.
Tom S.

try a junk yard too for the wiper assembly

dont blame yourself as much as others want you to. the UAW doesnt have the strenghth to tighten nuts and bolts like they did when they were viable..i have wiper arms slip on the transmission posts just from going thru our carwash...............remove nut holding arm to transmission, wiggle and pry arm from splined post, turn on wipers, if post is rotateing back and forth no trans problem, use sharp knife and clean out aluminum shavings from splines on post, try using original arm by tightening well, if still slips under pressure replace arm.
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention