94 grand prix overheating

Hi I have a 94 Grand prix the temperature recentlystarted to go up to around

230 degrees as I drive it does go down to 212 sometimes then back up. I changed the termostat still the same. I also noticed the rad fans don't come on. Is there a different sensor that turns the fans on because they work when I pull the fan relay and put power to the connector

Thanks Jim Vend

Bad Fan switch

Reply to
1

You sure it's overheating? My fan's don't come on until the gauge is 3/4 the way towards 260. Then .. poof, on she comes. I thought my 94 grand prix had an issue at first, but this seems to be normal.

Reply to
clevere

Wow, I have exactly the same problem on a 94 Bonneville. The car used to always stay below 200 degrees. Now it reaches about 220 before the first fan comes on and 230 before the second fan comes on. Both fans shut off at about 212 or so. According to the manual, the first fan should come on at

212 and the second at 220. It appears the fans are operating about 10 or 15 degrees above normal. So when the coolant gets hot, it's too late to recover, esp. on hot Texas days. My dealer says it's a thermostat problem, wrong, they also suggested the temp. sensor is out of range, wrong again, I replaced it earlier with exact same results. I'm wondering if there is a restriction in the cooling system. Maybe I've never noticed the fans coming on at higher temps until it started overheating. My son now drives this car and I just told him to keep the A/C on, that way both fans stay running all the time and the cars runs about 195, which is the thermostat temp.

Let me know if you find a cause for the problem.

Reply to
buickman

Reply to
Larry Z