92 Grand Prix Cooling Problem

My 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix (3.1L engine) has suddenly developed an overheating problem. The electric cooling fans aren't turning on even though the guage shows the temp getting as hot as 230* so it seems the new op-temp is 220-230*f - too hot. Does anyone happen to have access to a wiring diagrahm for this model to see what turns those fans on? TIA

Reply to
cover

First thing to check is coolant level. Second, check for water in the oil. The 3.1 engines are know for intake gasket failure. If that checks out check the wiring.

Wiring diagrams can be found here :

Mike

Pretty cool - thanks Mike. Hey as resourceful as you are, I'm looking at a 91 Toyota 4Runner to purchase. Are there any sites more imformative than carfax.com for checking out a VIN? I never would have imagined 'autozone' would have this kind of data online where wiring diagrahms are concerned. thanks again - very much...

Chris

Reply to
cover

I haven't used any of the vin check sites so I don't know how well they work. Here's one you can try though. I haven't used it , but it's free :-)

NADA :

I never would

I was surprised also. I just recently found that. Glad it helped.

Reply to
Mike

Free to show how many records but cost to get the records. $24.95 for unlimited VIN checks for 60 days though - not bad - turned up some interesting stuff. Thanks again Mike - appreciate your help... :-)

Chris

Reply to
cover