95 Bonnie SE

3800s have plenty of performance accessories available, and they totally haul arse once played with.

Example: Two Holden Commodores, Series1 3800s. One is a sedan, unmodified. Other is a ute (err pickup?) with a sports ECM. Acceleration difference is uncanny, the ute's power difference is very ferocious.

And thats just with a chip. K&N high flow airfilters make a noticeable difference too, and in the case of my Fiero, it had an incredibly short exhaust system and very short intake system - 10" from intake plenum to airfilter, and an exhaust system that was all of three feet long - which caused the engine to breathe VERY well and as a result had exorbitant pickup... if the car was still around I would be 'borrowing' the ute's sports ECM for added spicy power goodness!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

I bought my SE new in 95 and have enjoyed it tremendously. It's got 60k miles and runs well. I am at the point of buying something newer and am tossing around the idea of keeping the bonnie and trying to improve on the hp and engine performance. Are there aftermarket conversion kits or performance parts that I can buy? I'm thinking my first project would be to open up the exhaust system a bit, and probably convert to dual pipes. Has anyone had success beefing up these stock 3800 engines? Am I wasting time and effort for minimal gain? Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions. Dave Bremerton, WA

Reply to
Stewburner

Why buy something new? Do you just want to pay higher taxes/insurance/and have payments?

Reply to
wrestleantares

Reply to
Stewburner

The Commodore is RWD, so some accessories wouldn't fit.

But if you do a Google search for 'Commodore performance' or something to that effect you'll get swamped with suppliers - however I'm sure someone on this group can provide you with names of outfits that can do Bonneville specific performance gear.

Nick.

wrote

Reply to
Nick Trounson

should point you in the right direction for performance accessories.

Reply to
clevere