97 Sunfire Transmission

I have a 97 Pontiac Sunfire with a 2.2L and a five speed. Without warning, I lost forward and reverse, which is on the same side of the shifter. I can get the shifter in those spots, but when I do the car still wants to go forward. When I put it in reverse, my reverse lights do not light up. I know in some cars that it is not possible to put the car in reverse if the clutch is out, but I can in this car. Is it still my clutch?

Reply to
drwebb

Sounds more like a broken shift cable than a clutch. With your clutch going your rpms would raise but you wouldn't go anywhere... when my cables broke I could get into some gears with effort and others I couldn't get at all.... I lost the cable for the up and down movement so I lost the bottom half,

2,4,R...

Reply to
Michael Bricker